What is wrong with this picture???

Arf arf. Are you thinking that there are photography police? Click on the rest of the slideshow and ask yourself if the article writer went to all those places. Then google "stock photographs" to find more things to be shocked about. Here's one of a gloveless stick weldor who's avoiding spark burns by going arcless.

And here's one of what is apparently pink chrome leather.
This guy is about to set his hair on fire!
The photography police are clearly neglecting their duties, and the companies that allowed the photos to be taken will have to be dealt with severely.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

Marine Jahan

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

-People like you don't understand that people make choices and have

-the right to do so.

So you are a conservative when it's useful?

I understand that libs demand whatever benefits them as a right, and attempt to suppress what anyone who disagrees with them wants.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I Googled "snood" and "welding snood" but did not find examples of my favourite arc rays protector. I like the smaller narrow face welding mask, but also had problems with burning my neck in the Vee of my open shirt. It is uncomfortable to button the shirt right up in the summer. In a welding gas shop I found a small (~4x6") piece of very soft leather sold with some Velcro bits to attach to the lower front of my mask to cover the exposed neck area. Any piece of soft leather glued to the mask would work just as well and solved the problem for me.

Regarding the time it takes to put on protective gear, IMHE, I can always tell if I have been working hard by how clean my hands are at the end of the day. If my hands are dirty then I have not been working very hard, because when I am really working I seldom take my gloves off. Doing everything with gloves on is (IMHO) the mark of a pro, they know both how to work well with gloves on and also the best gloves for the job. IMHO, this also applies to all heavy and most light mechanical work.

I work with a lot of crews of varying skill and experience levels, my observation is that inexperienced workers try to do a lot of work with bare hands, and the more experienced (and usually faster) guys never take their gloves off. All the union jobs I work on supply top quality gloves and other protective gear, failure to wear them was good for a "free ride to the gate".

Personal protection is not optional, just like the boxing referees say, "protect yourself at all times".

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

They are the Government and they know what is best for you.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

-You can't remove all regulation but trying to regulate everything is

-beyond stupid.

-You need balance.

When pressed hard enough you turn Republican.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ayup. I do a bit of tig and have a chamois snood installed on the helmet I use for tig (with correction in the lenses for close up work) and when I weld just normally..I have a half jacket and ALWAYs button up the top buttons.

I learned about the Snood here on RCM in fact!

The last time I welded/tested a machine was a Syncrowave 300 that Id delivered to a customer and I put it through its paces before delivery. Burned the shit out of myself in less than 3 minutes. T shirt in an open parking lot at 1pm on a sunny afternoon.

Ive been told they are bad about UV...more than most

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Can I just do HER till I need glasses?

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Reply to
Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

Gunner, I gave your phone number to a freind who lives in Bakersfield. He is looking for some parts for his lathe. I told him to mention myname when he calls. I hope you can help him, I served with him in Alaska about 40 years ago. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Had a nice chat with him today. He may be over tommorow or Tuesday and we will dig around and see what we can find

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Glasses? Most of us go by feel in the dark.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks. He was the other engineer at the Greeley stations.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Steve B" on Sun, 6 Jan 2013 08:47:44 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It is the UV - same as sun burns. And those will blister, as I discovered while motorcycling across the Mohave with no shirt. Hurt too.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I'm suprised he's wearing a helmut. I've seen one, and heard of a few that just "squint" when making welds. Seen that on some TV shows too. I was talking to one "professional" welder who said he never wears gloves or leathers, just puts on SFP50 sun block.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Some people are truly beyond redemption.

Ignoramus8503

Wow! Your penis is HUGE!

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Reply to
Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

Let me tell you what I actually watched happen in a High School welding class in Utah in 1962/1963.

A senior student who I'll call "JD" was arc welding and was having a problem getting his work held in place and also getting his helmet in place at the same time.

His solution? He removed the helmet and proceeded to do the welding with his eyes shut. He said he could see what he was doing by looking through his eyelids. This is not BS, I was there watching as this occurred.

I didn't have the guts to try it but I still wonder how well he could see to weld like that.

Wilby

Reply to
wilby

Maybe what he really could do is visualize in his mind exactly what he needed to do and then do it without having to use his eyes. Some people have that ability.

Reply to
Jonathan Banquer

I help coach my son's 5th/6th grade basketball team. There's a fifth-grader on the team, an irritating little know-it-all named Shane, who is the smallest kid on the team. He can dribble the ball okay, but he can't shoot worth a damn, can't/won't pass the ball, and is too small to do anything in the lane. However, at the free throw line, he can shoot the ball with his eyes closed and make more than half his shots. He dribbles a couple of times, gets set, closes his eyes and shoots the ball. I saw him make about five out of eight that way at practice one evening. The kid gives very strong indication of having an attention disorder, maybe Asperger's syndrome, and he might well be a little Kobe Rainman.

Reply to
Delvin Benet

Or if he can still see today.

Gunner