thought it was just another british airplane

given the Brits record of naming their aircraft names that would encite fear to their enemy (Fruitbat) I naturally thought this was another british airplane. It would have also helped if I had my reading glasses on that the time I searched.

But I would not put it past them to consider the name in any case.......

Craig

Musicman59

You mean you've never heard of the Blackburn Bluetit? LOL

How about the Supermarine Shrew? :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Or the Hawker TomTit?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Syke

The many British manufacturers that survived into the '20's and '30's produced a lot of prototypes and short production run aircraft and more or less ran out of names, particularly because they usually had a "house style" e.g. alliterative, bird or animal names, etc. Some of the more curious, clipped from Wikipedia, are listed below - Blackburn are an easy target, Avro seem to have taken more care.

Blackburn Sidecar Alula Semiquaver Blackburn Pellet Blackburn Cubaroo Blackburn Airedale Blackburn Sprat Blackburn Turcock

Supermarine Sea Urchin Supermarine Seagull Supermarine Sheldrake

(Shrew was the name considered - briefly - for the aircraft that became the Spitfire)

Bristol Babe Bristol Tramp Bristol Brownie

Armstrong Whitworth Ape

Hawker Hedgehog Hawker Hoopoe

HP Handcross HP Hamlet HP Gugnunc

Avro Spider

As for the Farley Fruitbat - - - well, look up "Straight and Level" :-)

Reply to
Alan Dicey

A few years ago the IPMS 'Whatif' SIG did a display based on the premise that England became the centre of world aircraft design after WW2..

Gave rise to such delights as the Curtiss Cleckheaton..

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

the town that gave us phelan and moore. we would kill for a 1960 model 120.

Reply to
someone

O.K. How about the "Airspeed Ape"??

:-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
Bill Shuey

...as long as they're decent, I'm all in!

Reply to
Rufus

tomcervo

Suddenly I can hear Fairport Convention: "I was a cockteaser for Roosterama!"

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

i believe you mean firesign theatre, mistah b?

Reply to
someone

Apparently so. Oy!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

s'allright, you got the right line and made it work. my memory is so messed up i can remember watching murrow bitch slapping ike but i can't find my ass with both hands and a rearview mirror. and whhere'd i leave that seeing eye shiatsu?

Reply to
someone