Where to find corrugated metal / plastic (fluted)? GET OUT THE BRAIN FOOD!

Guys,

I have been surveying my toolboxes (Sears, Kennedy, Gerstner and other no named low lifes) on why my tools are not better organized. One of the solutions should be a universal drawer divider system. Upon exploring the web I have found several poor to fair systems all of which are way too expensive.

My solution would be to use 1/8" tempered hardboard or perhaps scrap acrylic as the walls. 'V' shaped corrugated sheet aluminum ribbon could used on the front and back of the drawer to set the pitch and hold the walls vertical. Ideally The aluminum would have a pitch of about 3/16" to 1/4". Plastic would do too, if cheap enough (I am looking into corrugated plastic sheet).

Where do I get the corrugated aluminum? Model stuff is too fine a pitch and is not long enough for wide drawers. Another idea is to use the special pliers that the sheet metal / furnace guys use on the ends of the furnace pipes, to make my own ribbon.

Suggestions anyone??...Anyone??

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
James E. Baldock

Not sure where to find the corrugated stuff *that* fine - I was thinking of the corrugated roofing (until I read a little further down in your post). How 'bout just running a strip thru a couple of gears mounted close together - like an old wringer washing machine?? You could buy aluminum flashing material - cut it into strips as long as you want and run it through your "former". Hope this helps. Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth W. Sterling

I think it was Kennedy that already solved this, they've got spring "clips", for want of a better description, that have nubs to dig into the flocking on the drawer and partitions to run between two clips. The clips or retainers are plated spring steel, a very flattened "W" configuration, the long parts have the nubs and the short "V" in the center holds the partition upright.

Just looked up the company, looks like they've got about all bets covered:

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

You could glue some of that ribbed heavy brown vinyl floor mat material they sell in the floor covering zone at home depot to the front and back of the drawers. The rib pitch might be too close to fit 1/8" masonite with out sanding the end edges of the masonite to a point.

Leo Plas

Reply to
Leo Plas

Hi,

How about taking some electronic "heat sinks" and slicing them to the drawer height? The fins could be used to position the partitions. I see a lage number of various types and sizes at the scrap metal dealers who sell aluminum scrap for ~$1/Lb.

One that weighed 10 pounds would probably do all your boxes.

Jim

James E. Baldock wrote:

Reply to
Jim Hudson

As an afterthought - and you mentioned "cheap", what about just taking some thin (say 1/4" or so) plywood and cutting some slots across the strip with a radial arm saw? Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth W. Sterling

HEY!!!! Here is one I know the answer to. Get some used banding (you can find it in .5 " and .75" maybe more sizes) and cut it about 2 " long and kink it to a 'W' shape. Put one at each end of your divider strips and the spring tension will hold everything in place. This is what I used in my Kennedy box and it works great. BTW I first did this about 1970 or1971 in that box and they are still there, working fine. Good Luck

Reply to
Bob Miller