Where to buy Smith Cavalier

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Smith Cavalier kit? I called the local guys and they are about $250 more than Aircraft Spruce. Searching on the web found a few other places with prices between Spruce and the local guys. I wanted ot go local but this is silly. They will sell me a pair of tanks for $300.

Also, would I be better off to buy the handle and tips and then upgrade to 2 stage regulators instead of the single stage that come in the kit? Plan is to learn to weld with gas and then do 4130 tube for a plane. Should take 10-15 years so I have lots of time to practice.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Why 2 stage? Single stage will work just fine for 99% of us.

$300 for what size tanks?

Why a Smith Cavalier? You can get a decent Smith or Victor setup (everything bu the tanks) for under $200. Many people use one of the micro torches for airframes, but a standard handle with a small tip will do just as good a job with out paying the premium.

A lot of guys use the Henrob or the Meco Midget, but most experienced weldors will tell you that you don't need the tiny torch.

Buy a basic torch set, take a class (preferrably one that is specializing in airframe construction, like the EAA courses) and practice, practice, practice.

James Arnold

Just wondering if I needed the better regulators. Probably don't for

4130 tubint.

Not the huge ones and not the motorcyle size or little carrier jobs. They didn't give the CF numbers over the phone. Just that they were a little over 3' tall for the O2. Next size up was the lease jobs for garages, etc.

The Cavalier is the setup with the airline torch. It is a bit smaller than the other ones in their line. There are some tight clusters on the plane.

From what I have read the Henrob gets in the way too often. I am shying away from the Midget because I would still need a larger torch. The plane has some 1" tubes in it from what I have seen on the web sites. Haven't ordered my plans yet (Pitts Model 12).

Lots and lots of practice. This thing is full on acro capable. I really don't want anything to break.

Dave N36078 '41 BC-12-65

Reply to
dave

I own both the Smith Cavalier and a Meco Midget and either one will work just fine for you on aircraft. I think you will find the best price on the Smith at Wagaero.com althought I think Aircraft Spruce has the best prices on tips for the Cavalier. Get the Meco From Tinmantech.com. I also have a set of the tinmans lightweight hoses and his TM2000 lense. Both are well worth the $$ even if you get the Cavalier. A plus for the Meco is that the tips are only like $8 each from TM, you won't find the Smith new for less than $20 each. As a sidebar to practice, if you ask around you just won't find anyone who could tell you of an incident where a broken weld ever caused an accident. You sure don't need 10 years of practice to make tube fly. You might check Ebay for some Victor Regulators. I bought a set of new old stock two stage there a couple months ago for about $60 each.

Reply to
FThera

I guess I'm spoiled up here. I pay about $170 for a pair of 40s, filled.

My dad has one of the Cavalier torches. It is quite small. I've used it and it is nice for tight areas. Matter of fact...he never uses it...I may have to release it from his custody!!

I have a Henrob and while I like it, it does take some getting used to as the handle is very different. I don't find it to large, though. I use one of the extenders to get into tight places. Since I bought my Tig, I don't use the gas rig very much anymore.

Reply to
James Arnold

$250.00 more than Aircraft Spruce is $559.95; that's 16 bucks OVER list price. I bought my Smith's set from A & I Supply several years ago. On their website A&I has the Cavalier for sale at $300.00. Not sure, but I think they offer free shipping over a certain dollar amount and they send out a quarterly catalog. No affiliation, etc.

rs

Dave wrote: : Where is the cheapest place to buy the Smith Cavalier kit? I called : the local guys and they are about $250 more than Aircraft Spruce. : Searching on the web found a few other places with prices between : Spruce and the local guys. I wanted ot go local but this is silly. : They will sell me a pair of tanks for $300.

Reply to
richard

I found A&I thanks to your pointer. Thank you. It the locals offered classes or some other perks I could see a price difference.

From one of the other local suppliers that actually has a contact address on their web site: The Smith kit is cav 10 300 - $459.95/ea Lease on cylinders are $40.00 per year per cylinder.

Let's see - I can pay $40/year x 2 cylinders or buy a pair for $300. If they have a 10 year life before hydro I am out only $500 by leasing. Does this make sense?

These folks have got to learn that the world has changed. The price would be reasonable if there were services above what I can get with a phone call. They are not.

Dave

Reply to
Dave