Anywhere to buy air compressor tanks?

I have a real 5HP motor and a good cast iron 2 stage compressor w/after cooler but no tank. I was using a water tank in the past but I know that is dangerous. Can you buy cheap tanks anywhere? I know you can buy a 50-60 gallon compressor with a overrated 5HP motor for around $300. I've never seen just tanks for sale though. I'm almost ready to buy one just for the tank.

Reply to
knob

You can get small ones from horrible freight or home depot. A couple of gallons, designed for filling via schraeder valve.

If you wait till they're on sale, they're 15 or 20 bucks each, you could build a tank farm.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

has tanks with good prices. They're not ASME certified, but I don't have much faith in ASME.

Reply to
AL

Reply to
knob

If you are near Canada, then look at Princess Auto, they sell a wide range of tanks.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Where are you located? My neighbor (in the Portland, OR area) has an

80 gallon upright with a dead pump sitting in his cramped garage that he thought he might get a new pump for someday... no idea if he'd let go of it or for how much.
Reply to
Bryce

Ohio

Reply to
Psychotron

||> ||> ||> ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Ohio

Reply to
knob

||Rex B wrote: || ||> Where are you located? || ||Ohio

Well, I have a nice used 60-gallon tank, part of a Black Max compressor. I'd sell it for $100, but shipping would probably add a bit to that. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Never mind... Good Luck!

Reply to
Bryce

little expensive, but you never know...

Reply to
Bryce

Reply to
RoyJ

I would not put a non-rated tank under a two stage pump. I bought a 30 gallon tank for a truck mounted gas compressor. $250

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I've seen small (2-4 gallon) tanks for sale at the Borg and the Baby Borg. This may not be large enough for you.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

On 11 Aug 2004 12:45:46 -0700, jim rozen calmly ranted:

Cheaper yet, ask all the HVAC guys in the area for their old freon cans. They'll likely just give them away.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The tire-fill tanks are not a bad deal. They're noticeably heavier than the freon tanks, and each one comes with an integral hard-seat blow-off valve, and a gage. Not a bad deal for fifteen bucks if you can find them for that.

The seem to come in two sizes, three and five gallon.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

All I know about ASME is that I bought a US made ASME certified compressor from the big orange borg, and found a defective weld with a pinhole that leaked air. There is no way this pinhole could have been caused by shipping damage. Now I think ASME is full of sh*t.

Reply to
AL

ASME provides standards for materials and methods. The manufacturer affixes the ASME stamp as certification that the tank was build according to these standards. ASME does not test or guarantee your individual tank. I'm not clear on whether the manufacturer tests each tank.

Reply to
Andy Asberry