Has anyone had to leave their OA rig outside? How best protect?

As I'm just beginning I don't have a suitable handtruck to move the tanks. What Ive done is chained them to the outside of the shed, sitting on concrete bricks.. I'm thinking of leaving the hoses/regulators on and cover all with a heavy duty trash bag. Next task is probably to build the shed out around the rig or take an old kitchen cupbord, cut out the bottom and mount that to the side of the shed so the regulator, etc are protected.

Has anyone been faced with a similar problem and how did you solve it?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

Michael,

If it'll put you at ease, I had a set of used single stage Smith regulators I left outside, exposed, for several years, with never a problem.

I later went to two stage regulators. Since I paid quite a bit more for these I decided to take better care of 'em.

So I cover the 2 stage regulators with trash bags just like you said you plan to do. Nevertheless, the old regulators were working fine when I took 'em out of service.

You should remember however, that there's a possibility of creating a fireball of trapped gas if you strike up near the bag. I've also wondered about static discharge.

I THINK it's correct that acetylene's heavier than air. IF this is the case, then presumably, there would be no concern about trapping gas in the inverted trash bag.

But if you ever did, and it ignited, you'd f> As I'm just beginning I don't have a suitable handtruck to move the

Reply to
Vernon