Keeping an anvil outside

I am considering keeping a small 140 lbs Peter Wright anvil outside. What would be a good way to prevent it from rusting? LPS-3 perhaps?

Ignoramus27337 wrote:

How often do you use it? What's the climate like where you are?
once a year, living on coast in New England is gonna be a bit different to every day in Arizona

Oops. Should have said it. I use it occasionally, read once a week, I am in Northern Illinois, USA.
Ignoramus27337 wrote:

I'm not familiar with Illinois climate (I'm from a little island called England :.) )
But I would recommend a tarpaulin over the top, and a coating of engine oil every couple of weeks.
Heat from your first piece should remove the thin layer of rust on the work-top, otherwise a quick scrub with some swarf/steel wool to clean it up.
It would be best if the tarpaulin allowed free air circulation over the anvil face. It will stay dry and will be almost the same as being in an unheated garage.
Mike Graf
bigegg wrote:

Where in Northern Illinois?
Mike Graf/ Milwaukee WI

Lisle, 15 miles west of Chicago.
LPS-3 works better for me in western WI than anything else I have tried. The trouble with coating things with oil is that, since oil is lighter than water, it always seems to float away sooner or later. Do cover it anyway.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------------
Ignoramus27337 wrote:

I am going to derust this Peter Wright, and then cover with LPS-3 indeed. I want to find a good chunk of a tree to set the Peter Wright.

Are either of you going to the UMBA meeting Saturday at Bergman's?
Mike Graf
spaco wrote:

I was planning to go, but I have a conflict with the Badger Blacksmiths meeting in upper central Wisconsin.
That UMBA meeting should be a very good meeting. Anytime you can get within 20 feet of Bob Bregamn you are bound to be better off for it.
Pete Stanaitis -----------------