Proper working Anvil Height

Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your back... Thanks... Jim

Reply to
Jim

You can find information on this on google, but it seems like for blacksmithing they usually go between wrist and knuckle height.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The top should be at the level of your knuckles.

Ignoramus10187

Thanks...now I know... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote: ...

You'll know when you've used it enough to tell if that's the right position for you and your work. :)

Certainly it's a reasonable starting point and you may end up there but time'll tell...

--

Reply to
dpb

I got the bottom of mine even with the ground. It was half sunk into the ground when I got it.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

It actually depends a lot on the work you do - and that's one reason folks end up with more than one anvil at more than one height. Leave it easily adjustable until you've figured out what works best for you and your usual work.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yep. And what most people don't realize is the knuckle height advice that is passed along is for an anvil that will be used with strikers. As in people using what looks like a sledge hammer with about a 3' handle on it. Set it for that height and use a normal 2 or 3 pound hammer and you are going to be hunched over your anvil. Not good for your back.

I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to the anvil face with my elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the ground. My back is straight. This way I hit with the most power without pulling my body out of line or having to bend over.

Reply to
Todd Rich

I'm not a blacksmith but that sure sounds like better advice than the knuckles height. I would have guessed that you want it 3" to 4" lower than your elbow when used with a 2-1/2pound hammer.

Reply to
RoyJ

"Todd Rich" wrote

I've never hit an anvil, but your description sounds like it would be pretty accurate to me. I have noticed, however, in old videos of men working with anvils, particularly farriers, that they have a slight bend in their backs, raising up with a straight back to c*ck the hammer, then after coming down and striking the metal, there is just a very slight forward curve. I'd look at some old pictures, or videos. I'd also make the height adjustable, because I don't believe one size fits all if one is going to be doing many different things on the anvil.

My $.02 for free, and well worth it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

like putting attachments into the square hole of the anvil whichever one it is hardee or prichel

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

I've never used one before either, but my first thought is to mount the anvil as solidly as possible at the highest height you might need it and maybe use a stackable/adjustable platform to stand on. But of course if you're doing something where you're walking back and forth to the anvil a lot that could be annoying.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

"Todd Rich" wrote: (clip) I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to the anvil face with my

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is logical, but it leaves out the thickness of the work and/or the height of any anvil inserts. I have used anvils a lot, and I don't think it's all that critical. A few inches one way or the other probably make little difference. If it did, carpenters wouldn't be able to drive nails where and how they do.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman