Where to buy a welder

Looking at Tig machines, I have narrowed it down to the Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185tsw, Miller Maxstar 200SD, Lincoln Invertec 205. I really like the Miller and the Thermal Arc what I need now is to get a good price on them. Anyone got any good experiances with sellers on the web?

TIA

Justin

Reply to
Justin

Be sure to check locally too, it's sometimes a good thing to have someone locally to help with issues and advise.

John Miller

Anyone got any good experiances with sellers on the

Reply to
John Miller

I bought a Invertec V205T from Praxair for $2170. plus another $200 for the foot control. No Tax and free shipping. Call them at 863-533-0975 and ask them if they can fax you a EAA special pricing order form. I ordered a couple months ago, but they should have another DEAL going for the EAA Airventure Show going on about now. I also bought a Lincoln torch from them, but also got a CK-9 with a superflex cable #CK 9-12-RSF RG through Presision Products for around $45, a much better torch and cable than the Lincoln, just get the CK Torch. Call Geo. Johnson @ Percision 1-800-544-1002.

I have gotten VERY GOOD service from these two vendors as well as very good pricing.

Frank Thera

Reply to
FThera

I am looking local, I just want to know what I can find it for on-line. The local guys didn't really offer me much help, they barely knew the machines. If I have to read the litature and figure out my questions for myself I want to save a couple of bucks! This isn't to say the local people aren't good they just didn't answer my questions. So I want to campare prices. Customer service is a factor and if I find it for $100 or so more from someone who took the time to learn what it is they are selling, they made the sale and I will come back. If they don't know the machine hand me litature and cannot answer questions there's no differance between them and the on-line sellers.

Thanks

justin

Reply to
Justin

you can always "kick the tires" locally, then buy online .....

Reply to
Kryptoknight

not really. the good local guys will always be in business (their honest). the crappy over-priced locals go away... just the way i like it.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Find yourself a local Haun Welding supply depending on where you are located. My local guy will match any price and is typically lower than anything on eBay before I even ask. Also with local guys you can get replacement parts and service really cheap if they know you. I will say that I buy consumables in both places. I cannot afford to pay $12 a nozzle when welding aluminum, you go through one a day, you can get 3 packs online for $10.

Typical price example: Millermatic 210 eBay: ~$1100 + Shipping Haun: ~$1000 every day

- Mike

c> > Looking at Tig machines, I have narrowed it down to the Thermal Arc

Reply to
Michael Kulikowski

John -

you're absolutely right...support your local guys so they can share the knowledge. People know stuff...trust me. They don't always want to share a lot until they get to know you.

Reply to
Ryan

Haun, eh? What state are you located in?

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Reply to
Ryan

when i walk into a local shop and there is no one in the store except me, and the guy behind the counter is put out because i'm not buying 200lbs of electrode, i don't care to shop there.

i say support your local folks, the honest ones, i'll even spend a few extra $$ at the honest shop. i'm not paying $34 anymore for a hydro-test of a 60lb CO2 tank which is expired.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Yikes! That seems a bit high. I think my guy charges about $17-18 per cylinder. Holston Gases is the name of the place I go to. The Nashville location just got bought by NexAir, who is pretty big in TN.

I recently purchased a Miller Trailblazer 301G from the local guys, but after about 2.5 hours, the Kohler engine started knocking something fierce. I didn't like the new equipment failure, but I liked being able to look someone in the eye when I expect them to "make it right". As it ended up, the engine was shot (local warranty repair guy diagnosed a bad head), and I had a new machine the next day. It's hard to get that level of service over the phone.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

New England and upstate New York. But they will send equipment, not-gas just about anywhere. As I said, on equipment they rock, consumables are a little high and everything else is awesome. The have a 400+ page catalog also that you can order out of.

- Mike

Ryan wrote:

Reply to
Michael Kulikowski