Looking to buy a new tig/stick welder

Since I can't seem to find a used one for $9.95,
I'm looking for a new tig welder. I really
like the specs and reviews that the Thermal Arc
Pro-wave 185TSW is getting. I'd like to keep
the price under $2000 and the power in the 200
amp range.
Are there any other competitors to the Thermal
Arc that I should look at?
What's a good auto-darkening helmet for a reasonable
price?
Reply to
Jim Stewart
I have a TA-185. Fantastic machine. Have a look at the Lincoln Precision Tig 185. This wasn't on the market when I was looking, but is well worth considering now.
Reply to
Albert1234
Just in case if you are alluding to me... My CyberTig 200 actually cost me $19.99. $9.99 was my winning bid, but I gave the seller extra $10 simply because he was so nice and helpful and gave me a remote control.
Re: helmets. I have used Harbor Freight autodarkening adjustable helmet and so far, it is working fine.
Ignoramus18928
Yeah, rub it in some more.
Reply to
Albert1234
You are definitely good at finding bargains. How about helping Jim find one in exchange for some welding instruction?
Per previous comment re MIG: It is indeed possible for a beginner to make "pretty" welds with no strength using MIG. It is also possible to make ugly welds with some strength with stick. Neither is a good weld. Beginners don't make good welds, but they'll be making good welds sooner with MIG (and some instruction) than they will with stick. Both take practice.
Reply to
Don Foreman