Re: TIG Welder Recommendation

Looking for a top notch TIG, want it for both AC & DC metal up to 1/4"

> for a small home shop any recommendations??
Reply to
John Allen

I have the Lincoln Invertec V205T and also could not say enough about it! I chose an inverter machine because of its light weight and lower power requirements. If you only need DC I would take a serious look at the new Miller Maxstar 150 STL TIG.

The Miller inverter goes down to like 1 amp, while my Lincoln only goes down to

6 amps. Unless your welding pop cans it seems like a mute point.

In the end it gets down to do you like Blue or Red.

Reply to
FThera

Wow have I answered this one a lot this year.

Best small transformers.

Miller Syncrowave 180 Lincoln Squarewave 175

Best small inverters

Miller Dynasty 200DX (Deluxe) Miller Dynasty 200SD (Standard) HTP Invertig 200 Lincoln Invertec 205 ESAB Heliarc 161 Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185TSW

The best buy in the bunch is the Thermal Arc 185TSW at $1700 complete. The most versatile as far as input voltage is the Miller Dynasty (110v

- 460v 3 phase) The HTP and Lincoln are both re-labeled Eurpean machines but they also both have slightly higher duty cycles than the Miller.

The transformer machines are quite a bit simpler to operate, weigh about 200 lbs each, and a more durable in the long run.

The inverters weigh around 30 lbs, pull about 1/2 the amperage from the wall as the transformer based machines, and have variable AC output wave frequency fir better arc control in AC aluminum welding in fillet welds.

The inverters also have more expensive components.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler