Major Wreck

Dear all Just had a horrible experience. Clan Line pulling three of the new Hornby Pullmans just fell 4 feet to the concrete floor of the basement. This has never happened before with any combination of Locos and coaches or wagons. It fell from the fiddle yard which is approached by 2nd radius turns, but fell from a straight section. I already replaced the couplings with Kadee

20's and the tender had Kadee 18's. None of the plastic is damaged but the coupling is wrecked on one side of the loco, and the tags on the coaches is BAD. It seems the coupling from Fingall and car 63 jams and binds. Anyone else have similar problems? I remember reading someone's thoughts on Pullmans and Kaddees before, anyone remember Thanks as usual Rob
Reply to
Rob K

I have no experience of Hornby Pullmans, but I see in the adverts/reviews that they have extending couplings. These are the norm on European models and I had some problems with those failing to centre (heavy trains :-) on transition from curves to straight tracks. The derailments always occured _after_ the curves which caused some consternation.

Because the couplings extend further when the vehicles are on the curve, the train has to be drawn forward in relation to the vehicle ahead which translates to greatly increased friction on the coupler mechanisim (and probably the bogie turning). My guess is that the couplings are jambing off-centre at the end of the curve and thereby causing the bogie(s) to derail. My "cure" was to change the couplings on my European stock to others that are more rigid.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Rob K" wrote

Kadee 17-20 couplings have a restricted swing so are not suitable for fitting where the head is a long way forward of the nearest wheels when tight radii are to be negotiated.

I would expect one of the types with draw boxes to perform better, I'd probably use a 46.

IMO types 17-20 are the most unsatisfactory couplings for use in 4mm. They have a excrescence of a hinge at the head and the shank is cranked down to match the height of a so called standard NEM pocket whose height being intended for HO, is again way too low for 4mm.

Reply to
Terry O'Brien