DIY transfers - Anyone had experience?

Friend's kid has trouble sleeping, needs a night light. Since I was a nipper I have always fancied building a Space Base. The plan is to build one with 'night light' mode (anto-collision lights on buildings, runway lights and control tower staff illuminated from below by green 'screens' (holes punched in plastic strip with green LEDs recovered from old keyboards). If I get it done there will also be some stories to be read to him about life on the base where there is *always* someone on watch.

Plan to mod some kits to produce the aircraft and space craft, starting with three Airfix Orion shuttles from my bits box to be fitted with a dorsal intake and landing gear to represent atomic powered air-breather transports. Three Heller Cadet Frelon's to have rotor-tip jets added and some kind of H tail. Ground vehicles will probably be tracked (always liked the T34 chassis for that, good excuse to see if I can still form clear plastic to make some 'Lost In Space' type vehicles). May have a go at 'hovercraft' sitting on ball-bearings (he is only 9, there are to be played with).

Would like to kit everything out with some kind of consistent logo/markings. UN Space Administration or some such.

Have had a look at what I can get locally and nothing fits the bill, hence considering using the inkjet transfer sheets. Has anyone any thoughts and/or recommendations on using these. I have been meaning to give them a go for ages and just haven't yet done so.

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I have never seen stuff for DIY dry transfers, but I do make my own inkjet and laser water slide decals. They have pretty well perfected that process. With both inkjet and laser, the decal MUST be overcoated after printing. This needs to be done with care, especially for the inkjet prints. Too heavy on the first coat and the coating will desolve the ink. I use Testors Glosscoat or dullcoat myself, mist on first coat very lightly, then do a heavier second coat after waiting several hours for first coat to dry thorougly. I have used both the white and the clear stuff.

Mike Smith wrote:

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Thanks for the advice, from what I have read on the sites selling the stuff it *seems* easy enough but always best to ask!

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith