Problems with DHL

So I won a couple of resin Bird models of Luft '46 aircraft a while back. The maker, one Rudolf Vogel of Germany, made the kits only after I won the auction (annoying in its own right) and on 1 December sent them to my via DHL (which is owned by the German Post Office). Since then, dead silence. The DHL website shows the packages being picked up and sent out on 2 December, but nothing after that. I've heard horror stories about this business before and the early november news that DHL was shutting down its American operations really isn't a surprise, but has anyone else had this kind of problem with these guys? Anyway, that's my venting for the day (well, that and my garage/ workshop is about 43 degrees Fahrenheit right now 8-C ).

Reply to
The Old Man

I only had one, excellent, experience with DHL. Perhaps your package got lost in the shuffle as they shut down the local operation?

Reply to
eyeball

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada DHL parcels from Germany are sent via the postal service. Bear in mind that this is the busiest time of the year for parcel delivery, so possibly it's just slow in getting there.

Regards, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Currell

My company switched from UPS to DHL it lasted exactly 1 month 1 week we dropped DHL like a hot potato lousy customer service packages lost and failure by DHL to follow up hope your package eventually makes it

Reply to
Daryl

snipped-for-privacy@k36g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...> So I won a couple o= f resin Bird models of Luft '46 aircraft a while

So it's been 38 days and the kits ~finally~ came. It's a Christmas miracle that the box that they were sent in survived the trip. Picture a shirt box from Macy's (or Gimble's or Hengerer's or any other clothing store) that have been taped closed on the four sides (four small stubs). Added to that the box had a nice hole punched in it about 1 1/2" across. I did a parts check and everything is accounted for, thank God, Even the mailman said that he was surprised that it made it. I won't be doing business with this guy any time soon, which is a shame because he does nice work.

Reply to
The Old Man

Yep...DHL is part of the German Post Office. The USA side of the Air Freight operation is going to be contracted to UPS going forward. Approximately 4-6000 folks in Wilmington Oh (just up the road from work) are without work, or soon will be.

The state is trying to get DHL's use of UPS declared a monopoly....which probably ain't gonna fly with FedEx still in business.

Reply to
OldSchool

shaddup.

Reply to
someone

I know of people who went to DHL to get away from UPS. Reminds me of folks who move to the desert to escape snow...;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

You are relatively fortunate. A group of us use to order kits from Germany during the time the dollar was so strong. Out of four shipments one arrived unscathed, one arrived partially damaged, one never arrived and the fourth - you won't believe! The fourth package of 25 kits arrived and one would never recognize that it had once been a rectangular box. It arrived in the shape of a corpse wrapped in wet cardboard and about six rolls of packaging tape. I weighed the box. Based on the label's original shipping weight the shipping box and 25 kits absorbed seven pounds of water (about 1 gallon)! They kit boxes were all ruined.

I sent digital photos of the mess to the German vendor. The vendor and I arrived at a reasonable reimbursement. All decals and most instructions were ruined but the kits were okay. So I sold the kits as "bagged kits", subtracted that amount from the original invoice and the vendor refunded me the difference. DHL was nonchalant about the whole thing. They didn't give a damn. I quit buying from the vendor because as a German vendor they had to use DHL to ship to the U.S. We amicably agreed to no longer do business. I hated it. The vendor was very nice about the whole episode.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k36g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...>

So it's been 38 days and the kits ~finally~ came. It's a Christmas miracle that the box that they were sent in survived the trip. Picture a shirt box from Macy's (or Gimble's or Hengerer's or any other clothing store) that have been taped closed on the four sides (four small stubs). Added to that the box had a nice hole punched in it about 1 1/2" across. I did a parts check and everything is accounted for, thank God, Even the mailman said that he was surprised that it made it. I won't be doing business with this guy any time soon, which is a shame because he does nice work.

Reply to
Art Murray

I bought a batch of his kits off of eBay a few weeks ago. Having seen these posts, I was concerned about mine. However, they arrived yesterday, packed in a sturdy cardboard box. The box even appears to be relatively unscathed as well. It took less than a month to arrive, even during the Christmas season. I agree, especially overseas packages should be packaged well. I've gotten ridiculously poorly packaged items, both domestic & foreign, that I'm amazed I got them intact. Over the years, I got an Action Man (12" GI Joe from England), simply stuck in a brown envelope, (shipped from the UK), a Monogram Cessna 180 without a box wrapped in cellophane & stuck in a brown envelope, with the windshield crushed & the seller asked "what do you expect for xx dollars?) (I left them a negative) & even a big Nylint steel Dump Truck shipped in a Priority bag/envelope! Of course, every corner of the truck had found its way thru the bag!

On Dec 22, 6:39=A0pm, The Old Man wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@k36g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...> So I won a couple= of resin Bird models of Luft '46 aircraft a while

Reply to
frank