Bachmann Press Release

This might be of interest to some of you.
John.
PRESS RELEASE
Bachmann appoint Public Relations Manager
Bachmann Europe Plc today announced the appointment of Dennis Lovett as the
company's first Public Relations Manager. Dennis has joined the company from Virgin Trains where he was Deputy Director, Corporate Affairs.
A fourth generation railwayman from Bletchley, Bucks, Dennis has spent 26 years in the railway industry holding a number of advertising and public affairs roles with British Rail Southern Region, Central Advertising Services South, British Railways Board, Network SouthEast, InterCity, North London Railways and Virgin Trains. Prior to joining the railway, Dennis spent 8 years as a magazine journalist.
Dennis joined the Milton Keynes Model Railway Society on its formation in 1969 and went on to serve as a committee member, Secretary and Exhibition Manager. He was appointed Chairman in 1988, a post he still holds. He is also a member of the Gauge O Guild and the Train Collectors Society.
Welcoming the appointment, Managing Director, Graham Hubbard said "Dennis will play a vital role in communicating our extensive range of models to our customers and developing our relationships with the railway press. He has extensive knowledge of both model and prototype and will add a new dimension to our activities".
Yeah John, but he's a damn *collector* isn't he? And we all know what we think of collectors on this group....
Cheers, Steve

"Steve W" wrote

Well I'm a collector too, and I think collectors are odd! ;-)
John.

Is that a royal 'we'?
--
Rich Mackin (rich-dot-mackin-at-ntlworld-dot-com)
MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

It depends. Are you a collector?
Cheers, Steve

A few items in the colle... I mean 'fleet' would raise a few eyebrows (like recent efforts to acquire a Mainline peak). What exactly does it depend on?
--
Rich Mackin (rich-dot-mackin-at-ntlworld-dot-com)
MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

The size of your wallet?.....

It was a bargain compared to the prices I see for some items I see! I can safely say I've never paid over the odds for a Lima Mk1 CCT or Mk3 sleeper/TGS though.
--
Rich Mackin (rich-dot-mackin-at-ntlworld-dot-com)
MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

Collectors are fine chaps, absolutely the salt of the earth, providing a home for much-loved vintage models as well as putting essential liquidity into the second-hand model railway market. We all know that.
However, my poor jest referred to the many threads in the archives of this group where collectors are lambasted in terms of contempt, with very few replies in their defence.
Cheers, Steve
"Steve W" wrote

Yup - they're the guys (self-included to some extent) who will happily gobble up your unwanted models and exchange them for the folding stuff.
I'm a second division collector really though - my main interest is in running stuff on my railway, and the 'buying for the sake of owning bit' is very much a minor interest. I rarely go looking for stuff but often 'feel I have to have it' if it walks through the door.
John.
"Rich Mackin" wrote

Raises the question as to precisely what is a collector?
I'd be inclined to suggest that it's someone who acquires objects for which they have no real (or certainly immediate) use, but want them just for the sake of owning them.
John.

Or for the sake of selling them on again, hopefully at a profit. I get the feeling that this country is a bit collector mad, what with all the special editions of stuff, and all the macdonalds toys, kinder egg toys, plates, dolls, etc, etc, etc...
I will say though than when I get my model trains, I throw away the boxes straight away, whether the item is a limited edition collectors item or not...! :-) I want to see my stuff run, not have it tucked up in boxes. There are enough collectors out there that I don't need to keep my stuff pristine. Oh, and empty boxes take up a *lot* of space...
Ian J.

Very nicely put. I had a dream the other night that I had won several million on the lottery, gone to a major exhibition, purchased some vintage Hornby Dublo and Wrenn models and in front of the tweed jackets of the collecting fraternity (and to their horror!) got them out of the boxed and actually played with them - after all that is what they are intended for.
Don't throw the boxes away though, when you change the theme of your layout, you can box them back up again and Ebay them to the aforementioned collectors for more hard currency!

There is that disadvantage I agree!!
Mind you, the funniest thing about a collector I have read was a few months ago on MREMag where one collector sent his limited edition Bachmann loco back. Why? Well apparently the model was absolutely fine, the free commerative postage stamps that came with however were wrong!
Madness!!
Regards John M Upton
My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures: http://gallery39764.fotopic.net /
Bus Pics: http://gallery42239.fotopic.net /
Ian J. wrote:

Bear in mind some collectors will thank you because it pushes up the value of their boxed, mint, never been used model.
[re collectors ]
<snip>

I wouldn't call them 'collectors', more like "Traders in model railway items", they are no more collectors than antique dealers are....

<snip>
for which

for the

Sounds more like a Magpie to me, surely a collector doesn't just collect 'what ever', rather collecting certain items - for example an example of every model produced under the Tri-ang branding?

whats that supposed to mean? Do you think they told him in the job discription he was to convince the public how good all bachmann products are?

So the website is going to updated with more often?

Here is another 500, dont mention the porch on the 37/4!!!
He has

What, may point out bachmann's mistakes before they start making the models!!!!
"Piemanlarger" wrote

I don't know for the life of me, but after those Stanier coaches and their seeming obsession with things 'Southern' then maybe Hornby should hire one too! ;-)
John.

This thread is definitely conveying a misunderstanding of the job of a PR manager. He doesn't convince the public of anything; that is the job of the advertising department, and PR managers do not associate with such minions.
We had this very discussion today at my current client. Beyond overpadding his expenses and asking interminably about the imminence of his next pay rise, it isn't clear what a PR Manager actually does. As best we can ascertain, his job is to entertain editors and journalists so that they may be more kindly inclined to publish press releases about the appointment of a new PR manager... and then they move on to a new employer and the cycle repeats...
Cheers, Steve
"Steve W" wrote

He could come and entertain me to the odd lunch and binge drinking session, but I'd still call a spade a spade afterwards! ;-)
John.