Bachmann Press Release

This might be of interest to some of you.
John.
PRESS RELEASE
Bachmann appoint Public Relations Manager
Bachmann Europe Plc today announced the appointment of Dennis Lovett as the
company's first Public Relations Manager. Dennis has joined the company from
Virgin Trains where he was Deputy Director, Corporate Affairs.
A fourth generation railwayman from Bletchley, Bucks, Dennis has spent 26
years in the railway industry holding a number of advertising and public
affairs roles with British Rail Southern Region, Central Advertising
Services South, British Railways Board, Network SouthEast, InterCity, North
London Railways and Virgin Trains. Prior to joining the railway, Dennis
spent 8 years as a magazine journalist.
Dennis joined the Milton Keynes Model Railway Society on its formation in
1969 and went on to serve as a committee member, Secretary and Exhibition
Manager. He was appointed Chairman in 1988, a post he still holds. He is
also a member of the Gauge O Guild and the Train Collectors Society.
Welcoming the appointment, Managing Director, Graham Hubbard said "Dennis
will play a vital role in communicating our extensive range of models to our
customers and developing our relationships with the railway press. He has
extensive knowledge of both model and prototype and will add a new dimension
to our activities".
Reply to
John Turner
Yeah John, but he's a damn *collector* isn't he? And we all know what we think of collectors on this group....
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
"Steve W" wrote
Well I'm a collector too, and I think collectors are odd! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Is that a royal 'we'?
Reply to
Rich Mackin
It depends. Are you a collector?
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
A few items in the colle... I mean 'fleet' would raise a few eyebrows (like recent efforts to acquire a Mainline peak). What exactly does it depend on?
Reply to
Rich Mackin
It was a bargain compared to the prices I see for some items I see! I can safely say I've never paid over the odds for a Lima Mk1 CCT or Mk3 sleeper/TGS though.
Reply to
Rich Mackin
The size of your wallet?.....
Reply to
D.S.B.
Collectors are fine chaps, absolutely the salt of the earth, providing a home for much-loved vintage models as well as putting essential liquidity into the second-hand model railway market. We all know that.
However, my poor jest referred to the many threads in the archives of this group where collectors are lambasted in terms of contempt, with very few replies in their defence.
Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W
"Rich Mackin" wrote
Raises the question as to precisely what is a collector?
I'd be inclined to suggest that it's someone who acquires objects for which they have no real (or certainly immediate) use, but want them just for the sake of owning them.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Steve W" wrote
Yup - they're the guys (self-included to some extent) who will happily gobble up your unwanted models and exchange them for the folding stuff.
I'm a second division collector really though - my main interest is in running stuff on my railway, and the 'buying for the sake of owning bit' is very much a minor interest. I rarely go looking for stuff but often 'feel I have to have it' if it walks through the door.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Or for the sake of selling them on again, hopefully at a profit. I get the feeling that this country is a bit collector mad, what with all the special editions of stuff, and all the macdonalds toys, kinder egg toys, plates, dolls, etc, etc, etc...
I will say though than when I get my model trains, I throw away the boxes straight away, whether the item is a limited edition collectors item or not...! :-) I want to see my stuff run, not have it tucked up in boxes. There are enough collectors out there that I don't need to keep my stuff pristine. Oh, and empty boxes take up a *lot* of space...
Ian J.
Reply to
Ian J.
Very nicely put. I had a dream the other night that I had won several million on the lottery, gone to a major exhibition, purchased some vintage Hornby Dublo and Wrenn models and in front of the tweed jackets of the collecting fraternity (and to their horror!) got them out of the boxed and actually played with them - after all that is what they are intended for.
Don't throw the boxes away though, when you change the theme of your layout, you can box them back up again and Ebay them to the aforementioned collectors for more hard currency!
There is that disadvantage I agree!!
Mind you, the funniest thing about a collector I have read was a few months ago on MREMag where one collector sent his limited edition Bachmann loco back. Why? Well apparently the model was absolutely fine, the free commerative postage stamps that came with however were wrong!
Madness!!
Regards John M Upton
My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:
Bus Pics:

JMUpton2000
whats that supposed to mean? Do you think they told him in the job discription he was to convince the public how good all bachmann products are?
So the website is going to updated with more often?
Here is another £500, dont mention the porch on the 37/4!!!
He has
What, may point out bachmann's mistakes before they start making the models!!!!
Reply to
Piemanlarger
"Piemanlarger" wrote
I don't know for the life of me, but after those Stanier coaches and their seeming obsession with things 'Southern' then maybe Hornby should hire one too! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Bear in mind some collectors will thank you because it pushes up the value of their boxed, mint, never been used model.
Reply to
John Ruddy
Sounds more like a Magpie to me, surely a collector doesn't just collect 'what ever', rather collecting certain items - for example an example of every model produced under the Tri-ang branding?
Reply to
:::Jerry::::
[re collectors ]
I wouldn't call them 'collectors', more like "Traders in model railway items", they are no more collectors than antique dealers are....
Reply to
:::Jerry::::
This thread is definitely conveying a misunderstanding of the job of a PR manager. He doesn't convince the public of anything; that is the job of the advertising department, and PR managers do not associate with such minions.
We had this very discussion today at my current client. Beyond overpadding his expenses and asking interminably about the imminence of his next pay rise, it isn't clear what a PR Manager actually does. As best we can ascertain, his job is to entertain editors and journalists so that they may be more kindly inclined to publish press releases about the appointment of a new PR manager... and then they move on to a new employer and the cycle repeats...
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
"Steve W" wrote
He could come and entertain me to the odd lunch and binge drinking session, but I'd still call a spade a spade afterwards! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner