Bachmann Club subscripttion renewals: worth it?

Does anyone else feel they are paying a lot of money each year for a load of sales blurb and not much else?

I cancelled my subscription to Hornby for the same reason but am still undecided about Bachmann.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

At least the Bachmann version is targetted at adults, and you do get a free catalogue (which I would buy anyway) - it always surprised me that Hornby missed that particular trick.

Reply to
David Jackman

Doesn't being a member allow you to buy Special Edition models? Which you can then sell on Ebay for a daft price.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Indeed. I think it's telling that both manufacturers call them a "collectors' club", not a "modeller's club". Particularly in Bachmann's case, it's aimed primarily at people who buy limited editions simply in order to own a limited edition, rather than because they actually want to use the model on a layout. Hornby is a bit different, because membership doesn't give access to limited editions (other than the freebie loco, but as that's always a fictitious shunting engine it's not hugely interesting to adult collectors), but the associated literature, etc is aimed more at the collector than the modeller.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

In theory, yes. You could also end-up paying well over the odds for a model which no one else wants. The recent special editions haven't sold at all well and there's been no announcement as yet as to what this year's special edition will be, if any. If it's yet another preservation loco in fantasy livery I'm not interested. By the time we find out, members will have already paid another £19 annual subscription.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Our son is a member of both 'clubs' and we have just renewed the Bachmann subscription after a year off.

My view is that these clubs give younger modelers a feeling of belonging to something and they get something through the post that's 'safe' !

Hornby Yes the club model is an acquired taste and a bit fiddley for fitting a chip but you can run one for short periods without in DCC. The magazine is OK but a bit short of contents.

Bachmann The club wagon is OK and the club merchandise is cheaper than the Hornby equivalent ( and for most items p & p is included ). As said previously the catalogue is free and you get a very decent calendar. I consider the magazine better than Hornby's. You also get a metal club badge

Yes you do get " a load of sales blurb " but have you ever worked out how much of a magazine subscription pays for pages of adverts ? The collectors club is most likely a legal way to get a tax rebate.

If you are not satisfied with what they are giving you write to them.

If I had to choose between the two I would go for Bachmann simply because the staff were very kind and helpful to our son.

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

But congrats to person wot won hornby website competition :-)

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I always like to hear what the manufactures have to say on these matters so I e-mailed Bachmann and got this reply from their Public Relations Manager :-

" We tried to keep the increase to a minimum and this is the first increase since the 2005/06 club year. During that time we have all witnessed the increased costs in just about everything. There have been major increases in the cost of printing paper, printing and postage, the later having had a major influence on the need to raise the membership fee by =A32. In addition we have two full time members of staff to run the organisation with the other work being undertaken by other members of staff such as myself which are not charged to the club costs.

We have compared the package offered to Bachmann Club Members against those of other manufacturers both in the UK and the rest of the world. Some have recently closed down their club operations as they are no longer cost effective. Compared to those offered by the two other British manufacturers, feedback tells us we provide the best package at a far lower price and this has been reflected in unprecedented growth each year, particularly over the past three years.

Our magazine regularly runs to 44 pages and contains information which we trust is of interest to the members. Naturally it can only relate to Bachmann and associated products and since I took over as Acting Editor of the magazine two issues ago, I have endeavoured to show members how to use the products to enhance their own layouts and to provide background information relevant to particular items such as locomotives, multiple units, the coal mine and depot buildings. I have also commissioned articles from a number of leading authors and photographers which will provide even better editorial content in future issues.

Our club wagon follows a popular theme of advertising wagons produced by the wagon builders and repairers and has proved popular with collectors as these are only available through the club, with surplus models being sold through the magazine in the following years. Taking into account the retail value of the wagon (current RRP of a 7 plank wagon is =A37.45), calendar (these would be around the =A35 mark in the shops), catalogue RRP =A34.99 and four magazines then the =A319 annual membership fee still offers, we consider, excellent value.

Please feel free to use any of the above information in any subsequent postings you may make. We current have in excess of 8,500 active members and this is growing annually. Since the release of the latest magazine, our offices are receiving large sacks of renewals and orders every day. We are delighted that our members consider it still good value, despite the enforced price increase. "

Now I know manufacturers will ALWAYS support their clubs / prices but I have to say I can't fault his comments.

At the end of the day only the individual can say if they think it's good value for money or not. For us our son likes getting the wagon, calendar & magazines so that's OK by me.

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

PS Errrrrrr yes Simon ... guess who has 'acquired' it :-)

Reply to
chris.brett58

Does it contain anyhthing of interest to Graham Farish customers?

Is there an option for a free Farish catalogue instead of Bachman?

Are these 00 only?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's biased towards OO, but does contain N material.

Yes. You choose either OO or N membership. You get the relevent catalogue.

No; you get the wagon in your chosen scale.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

" We tried to keep the increase to a minimum and this is the first increase since the 2005/06 club year. During that time we have all witnessed the increased costs in just about everything. There have been major increases in the cost of printing paper, printing and postage, the later having had a major influence on the need to raise the membership fee by £2. In addition we have two full time members of staff to run the organisation with the other work being undertaken by other members of staff such as myself which are not charged to the club costs.

[...]

Our club wagon follows a popular theme of advertising wagons produced by the wagon builders and repairers and has proved popular with collectors as these are only available through the club, with surplus models being sold through the magazine in the following years. Taking into account the retail value of the wagon (current RRP of a 7 plank wagon is £7.45), calendar (these would be around the £5 mark in the shops), catalogue RRP £4.99 and four magazines then the £19 annual membership fee still offers, we consider, excellent value.

Please feel free to use any of the above information in any subsequent postings you may make. We current have in excess of 8,500 active members and this is growing annually. Since the release of the latest magazine, our offices are receiving large sacks of renewals and orders every day. We are delighted that our members consider it still good value, despite the enforced price increase. "

Now I know manufacturers will ALWAYS support their clubs / prices but I have to say I can't fault his comments.

At the end of the day only the individual can say if they think it's good value for money or not. For us our son likes getting the wagon, calendar & magazines so that's OK by me.

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

PS Errrrrrr yes Simon ... guess who has 'acquired' it :-)

Should hope so too :-)

long reply from PR, question is are you a VIP, does he have lots of spare time or is it a form letter as theyve had a few complaints ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Simon asked :-

" ... long reply from PR, question is are you a VIP, does he have lots of spare time or is it a form letter as theyve had a few complaints ? "

They treat our son like a VIP ... which he is :-)

As for the other two points I can only guess No & No but you could always write and ask !