$250,000 worth of equipment??

Just for auto servicing?

That must be some sort of bogus made-up number. I can't picture that at all.

Gilles Deacur Sunshine Locksmith Team

SunshineTeam.net

$23k for the one machine? yep.. there ARE errors in that story, too..I see a few big ones.

For instance... If the man had known his key code, it would have made the process easier, faster and possibly cheaper. For some vehicle models, a locksmith cannot duplicate a key without that code. But most auto manufacturers today refuse to give the code information for electronic keys over the phone, citing security concerns.

Consumers usually have to go into the auto dealership with identification and proof of ownership to get that code – which allows access to the car’s computer and key operation system. That’s a challenge if you can’t get into your vehicle in the first place. It’s even more of a challenge at 3 a.m. or on a holiday, when most dealerships are closed.

Ford has NO 'over the phone electronic key code'... Most of the cars do not-thats the security.. you got to reprogram into the computer with new keys. you get in some cases the 'mechanical code'.

and GM just changed their policy regarding access to the codes, too. At night now? you wait. Got a Toyota? you REALLY wait.. Was told of a Mercedes took 3 days for keys to be reprogrammed into the car-bet the man did not like the bill either, but he had to pay. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I can't believe that he only charges $50 to go out and make a key with $250,000 tied up.

Unless his definition of "typical weekday stop" is open up a car. And even then that's priced a little low.

Sunshine Locksmith Team

--Shiva-- wrote:

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

he said...

And it adds up to significant expense for the driver who needs to replace a key. Locksmiths charge about $50 for a typical weekday stop, about $150 for complicated jobs such as the Ford Taurus that Morrow encountered, and “whatever the market will bear on holidays and on weekends,” Volz said.

Consumers donÂ’t do much better at the dealership. A key for some Jeep Grand Cherokees costs $100 to make and program, said Mark Silverstorf, assistant parts manager for Hall Chrysler Jeep in Virginia Beach. That doesnÂ’t include the cost to tow the car there if the owner has no other way to get a duplicate key.

I am reading it that the $50 is the service call. and a Tarus is not a complicated one..but the $150 is in the ball park for my area.. The new Ford tool at the dealership to plug in is scary in price, but it replaced the $7,700 one they did have.. Updates cost a grand a month, too, so i dont see us locksmiths having that tool any time soon.

SOME Chrysler blanks COST $100, never mind retail..

In my neck of the woods, big city 12 miles east gets $25 daylight to open any car.. and there is 10 shops doing it.. $35 nights till midnight-depending on the shop --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--
<snip>

I've got one $25K machine and another $17K machine sitting beside it. plus $18K for a programmer with software...could spend another $12k for additional software easily. Modern vehicle work is expensive!

I can't get the link to work so I don't know the full story though.

Reply to
ahl

Now, dealerships that have relationships with certain locksmiths will verify key codes for them.

There's a keyword............relationship.................

Go take a drive to an out-of-town dealer. Some dealers are friendly-others not.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

That must be one BIG VAN!!!

Reply to
goma865

yeah, and everyone is just JUMPING into the lock business.. I tell anyone interested that NOW, to do automotive and have a shop-better be 6 figures in the checkbook to open the doors.. cause you will spend it. real quick --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

not necessarily.. two suitcases for the electronics stuff.. plus a computer, cell phone, and a few additions, dont forget the code software now too.. and key blanks.. LOTS of key blanks.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Can be hard recouping the investment......

Reply to
ahl

I haven't been in the auto field actively in the last 4 years, and am going to be jumping into it again in the summer when I open my next locksmith business.

I already know the expense just to start again... van... laptop... accounting software... phones... ads... code software... transponder equipment... code machines...

I already have the basics, but I'm going to target above the basic market. No need to compete with the $35 lockouts. They can have that joy.

Safework is a different story. Another expensive, different story.

Sunsh>

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

bingo.. someone asks.. I NEED AN... Ace duplicator for example.. think the fancy Framon or the other one.. how many keys of that type have you 'lost sales on' in the last year?

5? 20? 100? figure the cost of the machine into the 100 dupes you will do- MIGHTY expensive dupes.. (I paid $20 for one with a bad power cord, and missing one piece that cost me $45..) made 3 keys now in the year since then..

same with the higher end car electronic toys.. Are you needing to do 3 or more a DAY? let me see-last year, how many NEW Chryslers did I get a call for with lost keys, that need the programming tool.. 5, maybe? that means EACH CAR would have cost me out of pocket over $1200.. customer wanna pay that? naa.. you MUST KNOW your clintel and demand..or you waste a lot of money..

there is within my corner of my state 40-50 locksmiths. NOT A ONE will originate an older Mercedes sidewinder key..NONE.. why? keys are $50 from dealer and a week delivery..its a waste of time and money.. so, and this applies to ALL professions, sometimes the latest and greatest is just like a certain movie..."The Money Pit'.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

$600 plus computer..

LOL.. $20k?

need 1..if you got a generator.. a clipper if you do a LOT of certain ones.

safe work? good drill, and holder.. LOTS of books.. safe organization membership. LOTS of GOOD drill bits.. bore scope. cheaper than electronic auto work..LOLOL PLUS no outside work except ATM, NO night calls usually, and EVERYONE is very helpful.. air conditioned when inside work. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

BTW, story in one of the safe trade magazines, guy was taking his wife out for dinner at a VERY good restaurant.. and had a 'small emergency' call from a bank he was on contract with, and he agreed to stop by and fix it..

the look on the bank peoples face when he drove up in a Rolls Royce and hopped out with a TUX, was priceless.. (He rented the car for the evening)

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

---snip some---

just a comment.... I realize that prices vary per geographical area but those were the prices around here 20+ years back.

g'day Shiva

Reply to
Key

what are the names and models of those above mentioned mechines ? I find the prices very hard to believe.

no pun intended

Reply to
Key

..."The Money Pit" ? sure you're not talking about my 84 / C-4 Vette ? :-)

Reply to
Key

yah, you are right..

for the REST of the story.. full time jobs are rare..for some, its 30 hours..most folks-married have 2.+ something jobs just to live.. Pay? figuring ALL the benifits in, the average pay according to some statatician, is $12 an hour.. a $9 an hour job is pretty good..

houses? $700 rent plus utilities.. to buy? $100k or close

we are just plain out in the sticks, as far as income.. Careerbuilder.com has a page on my county.. working as a locksmith, the average salary of $24,372.. and half of those in this position would make between $16,800 and

29, 100 our cost of living is close to the $36, 500 range, while national average of salary is set at 28,500

we are poor hicks..LOL

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

get an OLDER one.. late 60's or early 70's...LOLOL then go to a JUDGED Corvette show.. talk about PICKY... the valve stems on your tires are the WRONG COLOR.. NO JOKE.. that picky --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--