Help with combination lock

If anyone could walk an idiot through opening an old safe he has acquired, it would be great.

The safe is rather old and has a Yale dial lock with the numbers 0-99. And a bolt handle.

I have the combination which is three numbers x y and z.

I have never figured out how many turns left and right I need to use to open the safe. I know you have to turn a set number of turns each time but do not recall how many and exactly what numbers you pass to qualify for a turn (the prior number or the new number).

What I am looking for is:

How many turns to the left stopping on X How many time do I pass X (or is it y) before stopping on Y How many times do I pass Z (or is it Y) before stopping on Z

Reply to
tomthumb

ok.. FIRST OFF.. try turning the handle, and see if the dial gets harder to turn as you are holding the handle.. assuming so for this..

first try turn left 4 times at least, stopping on x. at LEAST 4 turns, 5 is ok for this..

turn right, stopping when Y comes up the third time-not necessarily 3 turns..

turn LEFT, stopping when z comes up the SECOND TIME.. try turning handle.

IF the dial did NOT get harder to turn while attempting to turn handle, then add after the last left, turn the dial RIGHT. cant tell you the number cause that varies a bit-might be to 0, and might be to 80 range..

try that, and if that dont work, holler back and tell us what the dial says on it.. Yale or whatever.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thanks for the suggestions. So far no luck.

The dial has Yale punched on it.

If I try to turn the handle, it has very little give to it but it has no effect on the dial at all.

Reply to
tomthumb

lets change it a bit then..

then right,,

if that dont work, then DIAL the 3 numbers as above.. get a dead blow hammer, AND as youa re making the last turn to the right, hit the safe DOOR... NOT the dial.. turn the dial slowly and give it, say 2 hits within turning the dial 5 numbers..

if you get it OPEN. do NOT SHUT THE DOOR.. get it cleaned and looked at.. it should go to 0 or even past that to say 80.. and STOP. then you turn the handle to open door.

for someone close to you..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--