Fixing a broken key

I security key broke in half while opening a lock. It is a LAI key. I managed to get the broken piece out. I would like to attempt to put these two pieces back together. What would I use? Would I try soldering or welding? If so would a small butane torch work or would I need something larger and what would I use as the "glue" ? Regular solder, a stick? I have a gas torch, and a small mig welder. I cut some grooves in it and have some reinforcing wire to go into the groves. I just need to get it to open about 20 locks then I will take them out and replace them. (See my earlier post about looking for a lock that can use a key that enters either way. ) I can't go back to LAI for long drawn out reasons that I don't want to go in to. And time is a factor. I have some machines that I need to get into quickly. I don't want to drill all of these out. I haven't found a lock that takes a key either way. ASSA and LAI won't work for me and the tumbler or barrel locks also won't work out. I need cam locks. I will call fort locks tomorrow and if anyone knows the web site for DUO that would be appreciated. Thanks again

Reply to
uriahsky

DUO I BELIEVE is Illinois- those AFAIK ARE double sided keys, BUT are NOT convenience keyed.. meaning you can insert key either way..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
uriahsky

I don't recommend attempting to repair a broken key and then use it, if you aren't able to allign it properlyit won't work at all once you solder or "glue" it...

Take the pieces to a locksmith and see if a new key can be cut by examination of pieces...

After looking into this topic, the type of CAM lock you wish ti find does not exist... So make do with something or choose a new manufacturer of lock and install all the cam locks in a way so that the key pull positions are the same on each and every machine...

Well, your hesitation to "go back to LAI" makes the professionals on this group very suspicious of your story and situation... If time is a factor, then take what is left of your key to a locksmith and see what can be done... If a new key cannot be cut from what you have left, then you may very well have to drill out the 20 locks in order to replace them...

Have fun, as it has been pointed out, no cam locks are available that will allow the insertion of a double sided key either way...

Your unwillingness to contact the manufacturer of the locks you currently have installed, and your lack of patience makes people wonder exactly why you "must get into these machines quickly"...

Here is some free advice:

Slow down when you service the machines, and you will not break your ONLY key...

When you install your new locks, take the time to standardize the key pull position so you can develop a "habit" of holding the key the correct way when you are opening the locks...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Tree sap works great.

But it can't be just any sap. It must be the Morinda Spruce found in the Himalayas.

Any other kind will have a chance of gumming up the lock.

Sunsh> I security key broke in half while opening a lock. It is a LAI key.

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

I not hiding behind nothing. you stated that you could not go back and get another key for reasons that you didn't care to discuss. hense, my "red-flag" comment. I also told you in an earlier post that you needed cam-locks. hense, my "guess ya didn't listen" comment.

so, whats your problem ?

Reply to
Key

OK here is an idea. insert broken piece of key into lock on machine and open it. Remove the lock with the broken key. Install new lock. If you can get the broken key out, great if not bring the lock to the locksmith and have him remove it for you.

Repeat 19 times.

I am not sure what an LAI key is, I found there website but they make a bunch of locks, so I am assuming that you have some special lock that your local locksmith can't copy.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

LAI = Locks of America

they make a VERY good knock off of the abloy cams.

Reply to
Keyman55

Sigh. Need we remind you that you should ask for the Secret Squirrel handshake? Now you gone and dun it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You asked so I won't bother to say that you are likely wasting your time. If you want to try and put the key back together use soft lead alloy solder. The parts to be soldered must be VERY clean i.e. no oxidation etc. Use plenty of flux and just enough heat from a propane or butane torch for the solder to flow. If you aren't skilled at soldering practice on something else first. In the event the key is steel then you can use silver solder but more heat will be required. Some silver solder alloys/brass brazing rods can be used on brass but I wouldn't reccomend it here because the melting temp of the solder and the base material would be very close and you would have little room for error. You might need MAPP gas if you use a basic plumbers type torch with silver or other 'hard' solder.

Reply to
Steve