How do I re-key Knob locks?

I am trying to re-key a Knob lock. When I am twisting the lock 180 degrees I am not finding the pin to push out the bolt and the cylinder. Can anyone help me?

Reply to
amirgenzel

Dear Miss Manners, I am replying to a usenet post. I have a lot of answers, but do not yet have a complete question. Miss Manners, I've heard that I should "flame" the person, but that doesn't seem polite. What do you suggest

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I am trying to fix my car. I lifted the hood, but not sure what to do now. CAn anyone help me?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Today i tRied the bump keys On that doubLe-Locked doghouse..............................................................

Every AttempT haS been met witH no credIble Triuph...................................................................

can you help me?

LOL, goma.

Reply to
goma865

I am trying to install an oil filter on my Van, can someone tell me what kind of truck I have?

Reply to
JEL

no, not anyone on this group. you need to try one of the physic groups :-)

Reply to
Key

Big hammer.

Sunsh> I am trying to re-key a Knob lock. When I am twisting the lock 180

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

First of all, just unlock it and then turn the know until you SEE the different colored retainer through the poke hole. You must turn in both directions since I don't know the brand or grade of lock you are working on.

Once you know where the retainer is, insert the key and turn it 90 degrees, align the retainer with the poke hole, push in the retainer and pull off the knob. On many cheap residential grade locksets you have to pull VERY hard in that step of the process because the parts fit too tightly. BBE.

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

Hmmm... I once saw an application where the cylinder would only come out in the unlocked or 180 degree position, not the 90 or 270 degree position.

I turned to the 90 and the 270 and poked and pushed and pulled on that knob and nothing moved, but it depressed with the key out.

The reason was because the aftermarket cylinder that was put in there had the tailpiece installed incorrectly (it was a universal tailpiece) and the person who installed it obviously didn't understand the need to have the tailpiece block the knob retainer when the key was out of the lock.

Sunsh>

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net