Article of the Week -Lock Bumping

Hello all,

As you may or may not know, I have started a website at

have just started a new series called "Article of the Week" where I would like to have you contribute to the article.

This week's "Article of the Week" is "Lock Bumping".

So, if you have not already signed up for your free account, please do so and add to the article. (Locksmiths only)

Thank you,

Gilles Deacur Locksmith Wiki Knowledge Base

a World of Information

Reply to
tronno22556

Gilles,

You want too much info to sign up - this is enough to establish a credit line. This may also dissuade hobbyists that are not locksmith shop owner/operators.

This site is free! No signup or membership fees required!

To register for a new account, we will need to know the following. (It may help to copy and paste the below list into an email when sending this information to us).

1.. Desired Username 2.. Email Address 3.. Real First Name 4.. Real Last Name 5.. Home Street Address 6.. Home City, State, Zip, Country 7.. Home Telephone Number 8.. Company Name 9.. Company Street Address 10.. Company City, State, Zip, Country 11.. Company Telephone Number 12.. Web Site Address 13.. Current Associations and your Member Numbers 14.. Other information that would be helpful in verifying your identity and your credentials as a locksmith or security related professional Please email all that to mailto: snipped-for-privacy@locksmithwiki.com or fax to 1-727-230-0736. We will create an account once you have been verified. You will be sent a confirmation email containing a random password. If you do not hear back within 48 hours, we may not have received your email or some of your contact information is wrong. Please resubmit.

We reserve the right to refuse an account if we feel you do not qualify for membership status. Therefore, sending pictures of your business card, Yellow Page ad, suppliers invoice, etc. sure does help in verifying your status as a locksmith or security tradesperson.

Thank you, Gilles Deacur LocksmithWiki.com

Reply to
BogusID

With sites like Internet-Locksmith, Clearstar and several others, is there really a need for another site? Internet-Locksmith is probably the largest and contains a data-base that is already massive. It's locksmith only and frequented by several hundred participants..... Topics such as bumping have been covered since the late 90's and before.

Reply to
rifnraf

Yes, this is for locksmiths only, not "hobbyists that are not locksmith shop owners/operators". Glad you understand.

Reply to
tronno22556

Internet-Locksmith is not free. Clearstar is not free.

is free.

This wiki covers more than just "bumping". It will cover everything locksmith related.

I get the feeling you don't know what a wiki is. A wiki is a place where you can post an article and somebody can come afterwards and add to your article, correct wrong or changed information, and upload photos. Then the next guy can do that to your post as well. Eventually you have one page with all the information you need on the one topic at hand with links to other relevant information.

But with a forum such as the ones you mentioned in your post, you can have maybe one guy post an answer, and 3 messages later somebody else posts another piece of information. And then somebody posts something else in an offshoot thread. How many threads do you need to search through to get your answer?

Let me illustrate. If you want to search for "Howard Hughes", you could type in a search at a bulletin board forum like this:

Then try to sort through the threads for information,

Or you could go to a wiki like this:

Now, which was easier?

Reply to
tronno22556

Naw. He's not asking for DOB, SSN, etc.

And that's too bad because if the article of the week - bumping - (Yawn), is anything to go by hobbyists and locksports types will be the one's who are mainly interested. He's going to have to do a lot better than that to compete with well established sites with extensive data bases. On the upside it is free so I guess that will appeal to some people...........

Reply to
Steve

Everybody gets the concept. Unfortunately with free you often get what you pay for. The cost of the pay forums is fairly trivial and just a cost of doing business. The established forums already have huge databases going back years. It will probably take your wiki site years to accumulate a fraction of what they already have, not to mention much of anything they don't, but best of luck with it. At least you are sticking to google text adds that don't take forever to load so it might have a shot.

Reply to
Steve

Nothing is free. When you require a person to register, you are asking for a lot of personal information. What it costs to register is to give you a lot of personal information...plus you must be a locksmith. A person interested in identity theft can go a long way with that information. I NEVER register for anything. My personal information is worth more to me than what you have to offer.

Reply to
Tom

Hold the ticket line please......... I've never had to pay anything to be on Internet-Locksmith. True I've made some donations over the years, but that was just my way of helping to offset some costs for the massive data-base. I wish you all the luck with your Wiki............. but it'll be many years before you could even come close to IL's value to the professional locksmith.

Reply to
rifnraf

You know, all these posts from people stating that what I have to offer is nothing compared to other internet resources offer are very funny. Especially when they are coming from people who have not even registered with

yet, so they don't even know what they are comparing locksmithwiki.com to.

If you haven't registered, you can't compare it. Period.

Reply to
tronno22556

So, we can keep doing what we already do, but we really should give you our personal information first anyways?

Sorry, I choose to swim away without biting, but best of luck <lol>.

Reply to
BogusID

Hi rifnraf and others, BTW I-L is changing to a paid site like clearstar. login and read the post from the main man himself Dan: [IL will become a paid site within a few months, IL is sitting still when it should be steaming ahead at full speed. (We need cash to steam ahead)]

Reply to
Roger Cann

well, WILL BE? I saw that its paid NOW..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I haven't paid anything yet. Just donated once.

Now it shows a price to sign up. but it WAS free for all the members.

this is how it looks now...

There will be 4 levels of membership

  1. Public Access .00 per year. Access to public forum (talk to locksmiths)

  1. Secure Access .00 Per year Access to secure area. (5 bucks per month)

  2. Associate Sponsor .00 Per year. Access to secure area and sponsor icon

  1. Corporate Sponsor 0.00 Per year and up. Access to secure area plus banner ad's etc.

The above is not set in stone at this point...

Just letting the members here who don't frequent the site often as well as any future members to be what's going on with I-L.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Cann

interesting