Bachmann Deltic - yet another missed opportunity!

After waiting 25 years since Lima's effort of producing an accurate model of a Deltic we now have yet another botch up.

Looking at the 3 models on display at Warley last weekend - if we start with all 3 locomotives displayed - no exhauster hatch door on the 2nd mans side at no. 1 end - cannot believe that Bachman didn't note this, even their reissued Farish N gauge model has this right.

On both the blue Deltic no eth cable on the nose end - I did ask staff on the stand if these were going to be extra parts to fit - but no came the answer.

On to the green loco - no sand box fillers, on the nose end or body side, also no boiler filler on the body side next to the engine air intake area.

No brass plaques on the lower body side as per the Heljan Hymek.

Surely with 6 locos available to go and photograph and observe, never mind working with the DPS these omissions should not have been over looked. The attention to detail afforded Bachmann's unit range is first class but when it comes to locomotives - well it leaves a lot to be desired. (Class 44 no exhaust port on the roof!!)

Reply to
Brian Grey

Yet more proof I suppose that the manufacturers really DON'T give a monkey's you know what......

Colin Meredith.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Predicted new releases for 2005 - retooled 44, 45, 46, 55 You bought them once so you'll buy them again is probably the manufacturers view.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

And as the Deltic is sold out before it hits the shops why should they!

Horah, some one has seen my point!

Reply to
piemanlarger

But hey, if the manufacturers didn't make mistakes it would:

a) Mean there was nothing for you really serious anoraks to moan about;

b) Mean that there was no detailed modelling for you to do to bring the models up to scratch.

Imagine that. A world where there was nothing for hardened railway modellers to whinge about...

A.

Reply to
Alfie

"Alfie" wrote:...

I'm beginning to wonder if we've reached the point where the RTR finish of many new models is so good that purchasers are too cautious to modify (and not price as such). I'd personally stick on new bits if necessary, but something akin to the old Lima 117 to 121 conversion would worry me a lot more. Would there be a market for new Crownline or Craftsman-type conversion kits?

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

"Alfie" wrote

Good point buddy, but you go don't to your local car showroom and tell me how you'd feel if you wanted a Mercedes and they tried selling you something that looked like a Mini, or indeed if the fuffing thing didn't work properly. Wouldn't you winge a bit???

I don't see any difference.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

the difference Between a Faulty Mercades and a faulty Bachamnn 37xx, about £25,000!!

No I too would not be happy with a faulty Merc !

So does that mean that all these youngsters who tart and alter their cars up, you know, add rear spoilers, wider wheel arches, disco voloume sound system etc etc. Are these people really modellers in the same boat as ourselves, not able to get the right product from the car manfatures, well at least its not just us :-)

Reply to
piemanlarger

Mike,

We bought them once, so we'll buy them again.....??? That's where the manufacturers score and win.

I comprehend the sales logic but not the sensibility of buying something which somebody may not be happy with because of its approximation to the prototype....but it'll do because everybody else is buying it/them.

If people are happy and want to believe that what they've bought is

*something* like what it should be, but isn't, then that is their choice.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Simon,

I was well aware of the point which you were making, I just don't agree with the principle of the idea......

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Neither do I, but its an interesting theory you have to agree?

Reply to
piemanlarger

piemanlarger

No. Those people are just sad adolescents! :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Brian is quite right that Bachmann have missed the opportunity to produce the definitive r-t-r Deltic. I have only seen photos and am able to list a number of errors noticed on the close-up of Bachmann's

55020 posted at
Starting with the bodywork, the general profile appears to be very accurate, but there are a few detail errors: 1) The edge where the windscreen surround meets the roof is too rounded and this noticeably affects the region at which this surround merges into the side of the nose. 2) The front lower corner of the cab-side window is too small in radius. 3) The works-plate is wrongly positioned, unless it was moved at some point in the life of "Nimbus". 4) The buffer shanks are much too thin, although it would not be practical to be precisely accurate with sprung buffers of this scale. 5) The buffer guide-tubes completely lack detail. 6) Detail around the edges of engine-room roof sections lack accuracy. 7) Fan-grille rims are too deep. 8) The model's body side panels are smooth!

Next, the bogies, as also observed on Bachmann's class 37 (cast-framed bogie):

1) The towing brackets are missing (as sometimes seen on class 37s), but what is represented on the model does not resemble the mounting point minus bracket. 2) The brake cylinders have an inaccurately modelled flange at one end and lack the mounting bracket flange at the other end (although class 37s did have variations of this cylinder design). 3) The axlebox retainers for the centre axles should be much thicker. 4) The embossed writing is missing from the axleboxes. 5) Some of the side contours of the bogie-frame (around the lifting brackets and near the front and rear corners of the frame) are not portrayed. 6) The recess contours above each axlebox are included. However, these should be symmetrical only for the centre axle, not all three as on this model. 7) The springs are not well modelled (Lima's class 37 bogies had better looking springs). 8) The guide-brackets for the brake blocks are missing (Lima's class 37 had the equivalent brackets on its fabricated-frame bogies). 9) The milometer and speedo connections are missing from the appropriate axleboxes, although these might not be practical/economic on a ready-to-run model. 10) The bogie lifting brackets have incorrect proportions and lack the side gussets and central detail. 11) The profile of the bogie side-frame is not accurate. The parallel sections between the axles should have greater depth and the area around each axlebox guide is the wrong shape. 12) The top edge of the equalising beams should be straighter and hence losing the symmetry of Bachmann's model. The entire length of these beams should also be shallower. 13) The mounting brackets for the rear brake-hangers are the wrong shape. 14) Turning now to the fabricated-frame bogies that Bachmann have produced, these depict the version with cast head/tail-stocks and hence would not be correct for an early version of a Deltic (but correct for D9000 in its current guise).

The cab-steps had not been fitted to the model in the above-mentioned photo, so I can't review that detail. The general shape of Bachmann's Deltic captures the character of the loco better than most of the larger scale offerings, but there is plenty of scope for improvements.

Ian Strange

Reply to
Ian

I would think so particularly if the kits were sold in parts eg 2 packs of missing bits and 2 packs of replacement parts, one of each being parts easilly changed/added and the othr requiring major surgery or extreme care. Then the customer can decide how accurate they want a model compared to their confidence/skill in undertaking the upgrade.

Was anyone else put off a Crownline detail kit simply due to the quantity, and resultant cost of part, that were not wanted.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

The BR logo's look too large and thick too. Do you agree?

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

That's salesmanship......

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

What is so frustrating with ALL the manufacturers is that they have ALL the information available to them....they do have research and developement don't they...???

Retailers need not reply in a defensive manner but an open manner would be appreciated....

Colin.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

'Twas Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:40:22 -0000, when "Enzo Matrix" decided to declare:

I once read one of those articles that said: "Steve hates the styling of the current Corsa, so he set about modifications to bring it more in line with his taste" Which begs the question: Why not buy a car you like the look of in the first place?

Del.

-- STOP PRESS - Microsoft buys Electrolux and finally manage to produce something that doesn't suck... To email me, you must remove YOURCLOTHES

Reply to
Del The Obscure

Some Deltics had a larger logo in the early to mid 1970s, although Bachmann's does look a tad too thick.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I'm anything but an anorak but it'll take more than 'detail modelling' to correct the front end of the new 44. Looks like something NBL built.

(kim)

Reply to
KimPateman