Yet another tool gloat

Went down to the shop today, to help with a problem, and while there one of the fellows we used to deal with came in, having decided to
hang it up completely. He opened his tool box and started to hand out tools, things like end mills, reamers, etc, then pulled out a couple of Brown and Sharpe boxes. B&S 599-745 V blocks, look like they might have been used twice. Handed him a twenty and put the blocks in my truck. $268 each from KBC, not bad. Also got a boring head, can't find a name on it, but older, probably not import, in good condition, freebie. Good days sometimes sneak up on me.

Lucky bastard!
Way to go, Lennie!
Harold

We won't go into where the blocks originally came from, or the boring head, but I think that the guy I paid for them made out almost as well as I did. For a long time, Case was very good about buying tools if anyone needed them in either the tool room or experimental, and not keeping track of where they went. More than one well stocked tool chest walked out of there, and the person carrying it hadn't spent very much of his own money to stock it. Not that they were stupid about it, if you ordered a tool for one job, and two weeks later needed that same thing, you didn't order another one. When someone retired, their tool box was almost never checked by the foreman. (Which sometimes could be funny, there were times that a retiring person went to pick up his box, and found that the top had been filled completely with die plate, or that every tool in it was covered liberally with bluing.}
says...

I guess then never tapped the toolbox for a zerk fitting, and pumped it full of grease?
:^)
Jim

Nope. Had to remember that someday that toolbox was going to be for sale, and we might have to take out the grease we put in it. For the few that used the cheap Lyon benches, drilling from the bottom and pop rivetting the box to the bench was fair game with the metal boxes. Of course, all of the whistle grinders would disappear for a day or two to make it more interesting. Most we did with grease was to disconnect the impact tools, fill them with grease and put them back. Most of them were overhead counterbalanced, made it interesting if their hand hit the trigger before they had them pulled down.

Grin!!
I ended up with some very expensive Sunnen gages (700 & 800 series gages, with setting gages) in exactly that way, thanks to a friend that had retired from his job. I had no use for them, but managed to trade them off for 4 new Sunnen dial bore gages. A few hundred dollars turned into a few thousand dollars worth of merchandise for me.
Harold