An On-Topic Gift for Someone Who Has Everything

It's like the ultimate reference material! Maybe we could pool some money together? Anyone live near an airport that could land the 747 delivery? Our local puddlehopper pad won't.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

on 12/19/2008 5:59 AM (ET) Jack Bohn wrote the following:

Yes. I live about 20 minutes away from Stewart Intl Airport (SWF), which has a 2 mile long main runway and is an alternate landing site for the shuttle itself., in case they want to launch it to get it there. I am about 1 million $ short of the asking price though. :-)

Reply to
willshak

...not to mention that they better include free shipping.

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
crw59

Drat!!! My wife has already bought me one for Christmas.

Reply to
Andy

Nah it's a fixer upper. How much for a reconditioned engine? How many wrecking yards have the right year, make and model? And imagine the size of the engine lift, and the overtime for the guys down at the pick and pull...

Reply to
eyeball

Engines are not included but will sell for $400K to $800K each. $6M delivery fee included in the $42M price. Indoor storage only will be considered.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

That's the shame of it. Imagine having that in the front yard in the trailer park. Mow the lawn, find a spaceship.

Reply to
eyeball

How about it parked in the driveway of a home in a development that has a Home Owner's Association? Their argument might be that if they allowed one owner do it, all the others will want to do it.

Reply to
willshak

Which ruins my plans for that second hand Saturn V.

Reply to
eyeball

Which ruins my plans for that second hand Saturn V.

There is a media buffoon in the UK who purchased a Lightning jet and has it on his front lawn. Apparently his missus didn't buy the 'Darling I bought it for you!' line.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

...see - I told y'all dem trailer parks was fulla aliens...

Reply to
Rufus

I heard about that. Wasn't there some other guy (I want to say retired Royal Navy?) who bought a Sea Harrier and put it in his garage?

Reply to
eyeball

I heard about that. Wasn't there some other guy (I want to say retired Royal Navy?) who bought a Sea Harrier and put it in his garage?

Hadn't heard of that one - There was a local pub landlord who bought a Vulcan, but was then told by the local council he couldn't have it on his pub car park (not sure what happened after that).

From the 1960s up to about 2 years ago there was a replica V2 rocket on the roof of a local factory that made air conditioning ducting, not I think full size, and dull silver in colour, but it looked the business from the nearby railway viaduct into Stockport (I was well impressed as a kid by that one).

Some years ago I was living under the flight path to the local airport, where the planes often seemed a lot lower than they should have been, I did toy with the idea of building a SAM replica in my garden, rigging it up with servos to track them as they flew over (sound location, wouldv'e been easy enough) just to make em twitch a bit.

Way way back in the early 1960s there was a Dad who converted a small caravan into a 'spaceship' for his kids - Only saw it in an article but boy was I envious of those kids.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Because he knew he couldn't sneak it past the wife into his workroom?

Reply to
Jack Bohn