Bachmann Blue Pullman

I'm amazed that no-one has commented on the forthcoming Bachmann release of the 6-car Blue Pullman. Everyone has been asking for it, and now there will be two RTR offerings!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I was about to say the same. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I think there will only be one. Olivia's Trains have cancelled their project with Heljan on news of Bachmann's announcement.

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

Probably just as well, I think the Bachmann one will be better. A shame in one way as I am sure Olivia's would have welcomed the cash boost, but the end result is probably good for the model railway community as a whole. About bloody time, in fact. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Was passing reference in comment about LMS twins :-) Has Hornby decided if they are to carry on or cancel theyre use of old tooling ?

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

I don't think Hornby have ever commited themselves to re-issuing the Blue Pullman, even if it was just for their Railroad range.

Our Hornby rep reckons the old Tri-ang tooling has not been particularly well stored and would need an awful lot of work to make them usable - even to the point where it might be cheaper to start again.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Paul Boyd" wrote

I've never considered that the Blue Pullman was a viable release, and have always thought that the 'demand' was a very small minority making an awful lot of noise.

In twenty three years of model train retailing I've never once been asked whether a model of this train was available, although I've had the odd request for centre cars for the old Tri-ang version.

Even since the announcemen of the proposed Bachmann model, only one customer has expressed an interest, and that for a livery variation which has not been announced.

Will it bomb? Well if the amount of interest on here is anything to go by, it's a distinct possibility.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I suspect you might be right. It's one of those models that "everyone" wants, but how many will buy? And of those that do buy how many will just stick them in darkened cupboards instead of playing with, sorry, operating them? At £300+ it's a lot of money for 6 cars.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On the other hand, if the demand for the Blue Pullman turns out to have been as illusory as some people have feared, Olivia's won't be risking getting their fingers burnt.

To be honest, I still can't see the attraction although that's probably due to me being from the North East. ;-)

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

The latest Model Rail is saying that Hornby are looking at re-releasing it. Although Railroad wasn't specifically mentioned, that would make the most sense.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

Graham Thurlwell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com:

I suspect the opposite, small production runs can be both viable and at times very profitable for small companies whereas for large companies small production runs can be very uneconomic. If the Blue Pullman doesn't sell - and after all it does have a very limited appeal to anyone trying to replicate a particula period/area with their layout the Bachmann product will fail and and in due course be withdrawn.

Meanwhile Olivia's will have been squeezed out.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I have a photo somewhere of a blue pullman on the ECML. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Apparently one worked a special between Coventry and West Hartlepool for a Rugby Union championship match in March 1965.

Christopher A. Lee

When Oxford Diecast announced it was going to release a Daimler hearse in O, OO and N scales, many people doubted that there would be enough interest. It's now one of their best-selling models!

Reply to
MartinS

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

Or just rumour-mongering? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"MartinS" wrote

Did that sell for over £300?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not this time :-) There was a comment from Mr K on MREMAG.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well, no. It was about £4.

Reply to
MartinS

Whippoorwills call, evenin' is nigh Hurry to my Blue Pullman Turn to the right, there's a little white light Will lead you to my Blue Pullman

You'll see a smilin' face, a fireplace, a cozy room Little nest that nestles where the roses bloom

Molly and me, and the baby makes three We're happy in my, in my Blue Pullman

[instrumental]

(slap, slap) Sorry, got carried away.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I admit to having an interest - it arises from my regular use of the trains in the early 60's. I also consider them to be important in that they were the precursors of both the HST125s and the modern distributed drive multiple units.

I have succeeded in making up two power cars which are hybrids of the original + driving and trailing ends from a 125 set. The pair are DCC with the trailer running in reverse. The sole drawback being the cost of the train carriages on eBay - they sell at 20 GBP irrespective of condition.

Bachmann no doubt are rea

Reply to
Sailor