Bachmann Mk1 Pullmans

The first of the totally new Bachmann Mk 1 Pullman coaches arrived today in classic umber & cream livery and pretty impressive it looks too. Car No 347 is a Parlour Second of early 1960s vintage, and appropriate for both steam and diesel haulage.

A quick reference to a drawing suggests that all principal dimensions are pretty much spot on, and considering that the coach is fitted for lighting (sic) it extremely free-rolling on rather nice (newly tooled?) Commonwealth bogies.

Ah the lighting - well I'm sorry to say that it is a total and absolute waste of effort. The lights are barely visible in a blackened room and all but impossible to see in daylight. If we must have gimmicks of this nature then surely they have to be effective.

Overall however the model impresses, more so in many respects that the much more expensive Hornby Pullmans. For comparison purposes the RRP on the new Bachmann coaches is a modest £25.95 compared with £31.50 for the Hornby offerings, both of course being significantly cheaper when the discount chappies have chopped their margins.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

I forgot to add that the coach boasts a wealth of underframe detail (although I cannot vouch for its authenticity) much more than the fairly recent Hornby models.

One particular advantage of this type of Pullman coach is that they were frequently used in relatively short rakes. The Hull portion of the Yorkshire Pullman, for instance, was generally just four cars - three of which were of the Mk1 variety with a traditional slab (matchboard) sided brake bringing up the rear.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Good job some of have in mind buying only two Hornby's to six Bachmanns to make an ECML set!

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

"Francis Knight" wrote

You could mix some in with maroon Bachmann Mk1s and make a Talisman set.

John.

Reply to
John Turner