In praise of the manufacturers

We're always ready to criticise manufacturers' products on here, and that's how it should be - at least until we get something resembling constructive criticism in the model railway press. However, for once let's try and give the manufacturers something to smile about.

Let's have a vote on what the group's readers think have been the best totally new (or substantially* retooled) ready-to-run models released during

2003.

Let's have your top three selections under each of the following heading - I've included mine for starters:-

Steam outline:

1 - Hornby LMS/BR 8F 2-8-0 2 - Hornby Fowler LMS/BR 4P 2-6-4T 3 - Bachmann GWR/BR 45xx 2-6-2T

Diesel & electric models:

1 - Heljan Class 35 Hymek Bo-Bo 2 - Hornby Class 50 Hoover Co-Co 3 - Bachmann Class 44 Peak 1Co-Co1

Rolling stock:

1 - Bachmann EWS HTA coal hopper 2 - Bachmann EWS BYA/BRA steel carrier 3 - Hornby Pullman coaches

I've not considered the Bachmann Deltic, which may well be a serious contender, as I've not yet seen one in the flesh.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

We're always ready to criticise manufacturers' products on here, and that's how it should be - at least until we get something resembling constructive criticism in the model railway press. However, for once let's try and give the manufacturers something to smile about.

Let's have a vote on what the group's readers think have been the best totally new (or substantially* retooled) ready-to-run models released during

2003.

Let's have your top three selections under each of the following heading - I've included mine for starters:-

Steam outline:

1 - Hornby BR 8F 2-8-0 or Q1 0-6-0

Diesel & electric models:

1 - Heljan Class 47 C0-Co (can't remember if it was 2003) Or the Bachmann 08

Rolling stock:

1 - Hornby Pullman coaches (if I had some)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

John Turner

Steam Outline

  1. Bachmann Crab 2-6-0
  2. Hornby 8F 2-8-0
  3. Bachmann Std 5 4-6-0

Diesel & electric models:

  1. Hornby Class 50 I don't do diesels, but I will actually buy this one, although I haven't yet.....

Rolling Stock

  1. Bachmann 20T Brake van The only RTR rolling stock that I have bought recently. Everything else has been kitbuilt.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

STEAM OUTLINE

1) Hornby BoB / West Countrys (I still got a triang hornby one!) 2) Hornby Q1 (even though it hasnt arrived yet) 3) The 8F. (Local Atlanta store even has one of these!!)

DIESEL & ELECTRIC

1) Southern EMU (Dont wake me up) 2) EMU Southern style 3) Green EMU (Still dreaming)

ROLLING STOCK

1) Pullmans

Rob

Reply to
Rob

1 Hornby 8f 2 Bachman Crab 3 Bachmann STD 5 4 Hornby Crab )ok, so I am slightly out of gauge on my measurment, think of me as Bachmann and you then can still buy it !)

Diesel & electric models:

1 - Heljan Hymek 2 - Hornby Class 50 Hoover Co-Co 3 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (talking about disiesles!!!)

Rolling stock:

Definatley not the Hornby Pullman with the worst coupling system on any coach / wagon I have ever ownerd! Thank ghod for the Keen close coupling system

Reply to
piemanlarger

Steam Bachmann Crab Hornby 8 F Bachmann Std class 5

Reply to
Richie

Guide dogs for the blind award?

(kim)

Reply to
KimPateman

"KimPateman" wrote

Not many modern image releases this year, but on reflection maybe the Virgin Voyager might have been a better choice.

John.

Reply to
John Turner