Triang Honby Coaches

"MartinS" wrote

And I suppose to confuse things even more a US gallon is not the same as an Imperial gallon, but approximately 7 pints!

When Canada used *real money* did you have US or Imperial gallons?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" <

Canada used Imperial weights and measures.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

=>

=>"John Turner" =>> When Canada used *real money* did you have US or Imperial gallons? =>

=>Canada used Imperial weights and measures.

Which made our gas mileage seem a lot better than in the US: 20 m/USgal -->

22.8m/Impgal (about what you could get with a flathead Ford V8 at, er, somewhat above legal speeds. :-)
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Not sure what you mean by *real money*. The Province of Canada adopted the dollar in 1857.

Since 1 Impgal (4.55L) = 1.2 USgal (3.78L), 20m/USgal --> 24m/Impgal (= 11.75L/100km).

Before metrication in Canada (1977), gasoline was sold by the Impgal. A large can of paint was also 1 Impgal, then became 4L; now it's generally

3.78L (1 USgal), not necessarily because of US influence, but part of the general trend of giving you less and hoping you won't notice. Many pubs serve draught beer in Imperial pints (568ml), which they didn't do prior to metrication! US pubs serve US pints (473ml).
Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS"

Partially true.

The main reason for 3.87L paint cans is shelf and warehouse space.

You can get more 3.87L cans of paint on a shelf, and with a smaller vertical shelf spacing, than you can with 4L cans.

Of course, product downsizing and charging the same, or more, than you used to for the larger size has been going on for years.

Look at the UK when it went decimal. Products that previously sold for say Sixpence soon became six New Pence as it still sounded the same.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

When did it change from a Province into a Dominion?

Reply to
John Sullivan

1st July, 1867 - Canadian Confederation. 1st July is a holiday formerly called Dominion Day, now Canada Day.
Reply to
MartinS

I had a 1939 Coupe with 3.9L motor (ex Bren gun carrier) It almost always did

13.8 m. per Imperial gallon, around town and on the open road. The one time it varied significantly I was towing a '48 coupe from Timaru to Christchurch (NZ), the only flat bit we have. At 90 mph the tiny wee fuel gauge, representing 20 gallons, was visibly emptying - I backed off!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

=>1st July is a holiday formerly called Dominion Day, now Canada Day. =>

=>-- =>Martin S.

As far as I'm concerned it will always be Dominion Day.

But I can't figure out why people wanted to change it. Isn't Canada boss in its own Dominion?????

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Yep. Back then a 12 ounce can of pop or beer was 341 ml.

Now it is 355 ml. I.e., 12 U.S. fluid ounces, though ounces are no longer stated on the cans.

Gene Nygaard

Reply to
Gene Nygaard

I believe the government dropped the use of the word Dominion some years ago. Maybe it wanted to avoid confusion with the supermarket chain (now owned by the American Great Atlantic & Pacific [Tea] Company - A&P).

Reply to
MartinS

Bottled beer is still 341ml. Some cans, e.g. Nestea Iced Tea, are 341ml. Euro cans are 330ml. Way back, pop came in 10oz (284ml) cans & bottles.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" <

Oh, like most of the rest of Canada, owned by the Americans?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Ummm, where in (around) the Atlantic is tea grown?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Originally they imported and distributed tea from coast to coast. They have now dropped the "Tea" from their name.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , MartinS writes

Such a pity they didn't educate their customers on how to make a decent cup of the stuff.

Reply to
John Sullivan

=>Such a pity they didn't educate their customers on how to make a decent =>cup of the stuff.

???????

Canadian tea is very decent indeed.

Hah!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Most American tea is blended to make iced tea, not hot tea. Therein lies half the problem. Using hot, not boiling water is the other half.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Only in Canada, eh? Pity. [Red Rose Tea commercial]

In the southeastern US, in place of a bottomless cup of coffee, restaurants offer a bottomless pitcher of iced tea (add you own sugar and/or lemon).

Reply to
MartinS