Ebay Pay Pal and Time

My previous troubles with eBay were as a buyer and went to the extent I had to use post inspectors to suddenly have the ten month missing kit "found." Similialy I had kits show up minus parts are partly assembled when these points were not advertised. I made about thirty purchases in all and about five were defective including the out right mail fraud. In that case I was glad I used the postal money order. I think this poor ration spoied ebay for me.

As for Pay Pal I tried to use it a few months back only to find the personal clues to trigger the account didn't work. This in turn led me to wonder who has tried to use my account. Sixty days or so back one of my credit card numbers was stolen. I don't like the odds. Pay Pal wants everything short of my birth certificate to start up again.

Finally there is the time is money factor especially as I go back to graduate school at the University I work at. I may make more money oer sale on eBay, but it could seriously erode the time I need to get things done. As opposed to selling twenty kits at once or so. I do have a sister that is home taking care of my father. perhaps for a percentage she could be my eBay manager. I see this management factor as crucial to making this service and all these post office trips make money.

PS I may offer some trades too. I will always want some model I don't have.

Sincerely,

Big Al

Reply to
AlbertCherer

Maybe you could stage a sale at the IPMS meeting??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Snipped

More snippage

I recently read in the newspaper about a company (in California IIRC) where you just drop off your merchandise and they do all the eBay stuff. Then when it sells you just collect from them. Pete

Reply to
The Laws

We have a couple of these in western New York as well. Check around to see if there's something like that in your area.

The Old Timer

Or check to see if there's an eBay Trading Assistant in your area:

.

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Reply to
Digital Cowboy

Big Al et al,

I used to sell on eBay, as some of you may remember. I gave it up a couple of years ago. Back when I started selling, my items sold well, and the prices were fair to both me as a seller and to my buyers, being close to "fair market value." Then all of a sudden the bottom dropped out. I blame it on the advent of the "watch" feature and the growing popularity of sniping. Not nearly as many of my items received bids at all. If I started my auctions based on the minimum I hoped to get, I didn't get any bids. If I started them lower, I may have received one or two bids, often in the last couple of minutes, and with all the fees charged by eBay and PayPal I often lost money. Even more rare kits were going for well below the John Burns guide prices. Suddenly, for me eBay ceased to be "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (or at least hundred-aire) and became "Who Wants to Be a Cheapskate." And I also noticed an increase in deadbeat non-paying bidders. So I gave up and went back to my web page.

This past week I went back to the "Sell My Item" page, to see about testing the waters and putting a few of my items back up for auction. Boy, did it get complicated over the past two years! There are many, many more sub-categories and all kinds of "features" and options that clutter up the screen. So it's not the easy, quick procedure it was; I found it an ordeal to list one item.

All that being said, you've received a lot of good advice from the people here and I wish you luck should you decide to get some stuff out there for bids. I got by without a digital camera (on kits I usually just scanned the end of the box) so I don't think you would really need to go to the expense. My only advice to you is to research a bit before you get your feet wet; look at not only the currently-running auctions but more importantly the ones that have ENDED so you can see what bidders really got for their item.

All the best, M. J. Rudy snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

M. J. Rudy