Unstable Paint Flows on My Airbrush

I am new to airbrush painting, so I bought cheap single action Badger airbrush with propellant cans sort for testing it out. The whole package only costed me $35 or so.

I found that my paint flow is very unstable even though I have not changed anything. Almost every time I press the trigger, tha paint volume is different than the previous. Recently there is mostly only air, no paint.

I have checked everything I could, nothing is obviously wrong to me.

The nozzle appears to be clear too, as I can blow air thru it. The paint is just typical acrylic paint. The air hose has a knob at the side where you connect to the can, I guess it works like a regulator ? But no matter how I turn it, it makes no difference. The amount of the air seems to be the same.

I just want to know if the problem is at air source, the airbrush or the paint.

Would I be OK if I use a compressor instead ? I don't have a real long term plan. I just want to touch up some of the old models I did. So I would like to avoid investing on a compressor as long as I can get the thing to work and finish up my job this round.

Thanks.

Reply to
bchorng

Have you thinned the paint? Straight-out-of-the-bottle paint is too thick to spray.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Probably incorrectly thinned paint.

No. You can blow air through the air passage. That does not mean that the paint passage is not clogged. Disassemble the nozzle, take a closer look and you will understand how it works, what flows where and why air can get through.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun