Airbrush paint - What do you prefer?

Might as well start a thread that actually pertains to rocketry :)
I'm curious on what others are using for airbrush rocket painting;
acrylic, lacquer, enamel etc. Also would like to hear of airbrush/compressor choice.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
I'm using a single action, bottom feed, air-brush (Very inexpensive model).
My propellant source is a 30 pound CO2 bottle with a low pressure regulator. I have it set at 28 psi. (The tank is actually for kegging my homebrew beer but here is a double use. That's almost free right? I have no idea how long the tank will last before I need to refill but I know it's going to be a long time just using it on painting. The best part of the CO2 is there is no compressor noise and I can move the tank wherever I need it to paint. Bad side, the tank and regulator is probably as much as a small compressor.
My favorite paint so far is Createx Brand airbrush paints. But I've used many others. The Model Master and Testors Brands are good but I prefer the water based paints with an acrylic gloss over that to get the shine. (Floor wax)
I am always looking for a double action airbrush so I can do some finer detail work. When I get one I'll probably toss the single action or use it for primer coating only.
Layne Rossi

Paasche VL with my smaller Campbell-Hausfield compressor.
High solids acrylic polyurethane primer.
I spray either 2 stage automotive with a light clearcoat, or single stage automotive with a regular clearcoat. Usually the automotive is acrylic polyurethane, or synthetic enamel. The acrylic polyurethane goes on much better, and cures more quickly than synthetic enamel, IMHO.
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:01:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

And replying to my own post, for which I know Cthulu will haunt my dreams tonight, the clearcoat statement is exactly backwards. Normal clearcoat for 2 stage (as the color coat has no gloss), and light for single stage (as it's really fine by itself, I just clearcoat to protect any decals).
I humbly offer my soft underbody to the Usenet Cabal...
<vbg>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:
<snip>

TINUC. Didn't you get the (non-existent) memo?
TK
--

"Not only does nature abhor a vacuum, you ought to see my cat's reaction."

Yes... um, no!
"message deleted from within TIN"
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:49:43 -0600, tdstr wrote:

Definitely a topic for launching a "flame war"....
Just as in every other genre of model building, there is *no* right answer. Whatever works best for *you*, and you are the most comfortable with....is okay.
If you want a recommendation on an airbrush; a simple single-action airbrush is more than adequate for model rocketry. The Paasche H is an excellent model, robust enough to last your lifetime.
--

Greg Heilers
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:02:40 GMT, Greg Heilers

No it's not.

You're completely wrong.

Right. *And* I suppose you think there's life on Venus and we never landed on the moon, correct?
<vbseg>
Tod "Greg's absolutely correct... I'm kidding" Hilty
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
Greg Heilers wrote:

Well I'll be doing anything from modrocs to HPR. For the HPR stuff I'll be using a touch-up gun and the smaller stuff a airbrush. Hoping to score a decent compressor this week from Harbor Freight. It's been years since I've used either hence my curiosity on what others are using for paint.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Paasche VL and Createx acrylic
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:57:39 -0600, the notorious t-e-d

For the big stuff, the little bottles of model paint are going to get expensive--at that point buying cans of paint and mixing in water or thinner yourself is probably your best option.
Personally, I favor acrylics, because they're more forgiving of mistakes (they tend to flow a bit after application, thereby erasing imperfections). If you do use the little bottles of model paint, you have the added advantage that you don't have to mix it--even with cans of acrylic, it's easier dealing with adding water than with adding thinner.
Scott Orr
Scott D. Orr wrote:

That was my thinking on using acrylics but wasn't certain if others still used them for rocketry.
I don't where I read this but I've heard about people using standard spray can paint by spraying it in the jar and thinning it out. Is this a good practice or did I just dream this up?
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75