Which way do you prefer

Hi folks, I'm getting ready to put my N scale train set up on eBay. I like the set very much but we got a cat. Cats and train layouts just do not mix. They jump onto and break things. Expensive things. Anyway, I have about 215 pieces of Kato Unitrack in all the straights and curves they make,

15 turnouts, 10 dead end blocks and an MRC dual transformer. Everything is fairly new. Some is never used.

My question is how you think would be the best way to list this. The whole think in one big lump? All the track and the transformer seperate? Smaller lots of the track and the transformer seperate?

The locos, cars, buildings and misc stuff will be a seperate auction(s)

Thank you in advance.

BTW, if any of you want it, you can get me at ascus4 at yahoo dot com

Reply to
pickle

I don't know about trains in particular but I find that in general when selling things on eBay, you do best by breaking sets up into individual items (unless the size and value of the items is such that the shipping cost for an individual item is a significant portion of the total amount someone would be willing to pay for it).

You might want to search completed (not current) auctions on eBay for your specific items/sets so you can compare what they are worth on eBay

-- which can be significantly different (maybe better, maybe worse) than you might expect in other markets.

Reply to
bp

The real question is: How much to you think you could get for the cat?

;-P

Cats and train layouts just do not mix. They jump onto and break things.

Reply to
DiezMon

No, keep the cat. You can't do anything useful with a train layout.

With a cat you get a reasonable meal and a nice warm pair of gloves.

Reply to
Crazy Dog

I agree with that, unless the thing is brand new in an unopened box.

Angrie.Woman

As one who has bought a lot of N gauge accessories, etc. on eBay, I think most buyers are usually looking to add to their layout. Do smaller lots with straight and curved separately. BTW- I keep mine in the garage on a layout that raises and lowers from the ceiling. If your garage is fairly clean, this works extremely well. We have 2 cats, none of whom could be bothered with it.

Reply to
Kurt

You'll also have a spare if you lose your baseball.

Loren

Reply to
LPV

I've been into N-scale for 20 plus years...and have had cats for 40 years. And never once have the cats disturbed the trains. You need to teach the cat the "NO!" word....it works, believe me. (Try giving the cat attention once in a while too, that helps.)

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Do your cats tolerate being raised and lowered all the time?

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Keep the rolling stock. Sell the cats.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

You taught a cat to understand "No"? I think it would be easier to teach a cat to scuba dive.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Cat. The other white meat.

Reply to
BrotherBart

With all due respect, I have NEVER had that work. I like cats and give them a lot of love and attention but my life experience is that cats are totally untrainable. What happens is the cat gets on the table so you shoo it off. After a few times of this, the cat gets on the table still but when it sees you coming, it KNOWS it shouldn't be there so it jumps off with a more vigerous springing action that creates even more damage.

Reply to
pickle

I did it. And when I took the little shit to the vet I thought they were going to call the cops on me. He started wandering around the exam table snooping at things and I looked at him and said "NO. Come here."

He came over and laid down in front of me on the table and that vet gave me a look that would crack glass. The look said "CAT ABUSER!"

Nah, me and him got a few things straight ten years ago.

Reply to
BrotherBart

Are your cats allowed to go outside?

The only time I've had "untrainable" cats, is when I kept them hostage indoors.

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

No. They are indoor cats.

Interesting.

Reply to
pickle

Actually, I do have a cat that will roll over on command. Percival Pussival.

Two actually, but dammed if the second one will ever do it.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Of course it is. Cats aren't people. Mine are front- declawed, and go in and out. They don't stray far, but they love to climb trees and catch prey (that they bring me as gifts). Then, when they're tired, they come in and sleep. One's over 15, and one's 11....so it's not like I've shortened their lives. Of course, we're in a semi-rural mountainous area, and I wouldn't recommend this in town.

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

I never bothered with "No" -- I can do a real good imitation of a large, angry cat growling and spitting. Believe me, the cats get in line real fast when I let loose ;-).

-- Kizhe

Reply to
Lt. Kizhe Catson

Say all the negative you want about cats, but I have had, in over 30 years of keeping a cat or two or three, NO problem in teaching them "NO!" means you don't do something. And as I mentioned above, none have ever gone up onto the train layouts I have had.

I'd bet if you never told your kids, when they were growing up, "No!" you'd be regretting it now.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins