Additition to Wizzzer's survey

I was very interested to read about the size, scale and location of the everyone's layouts. Since we often have discussions about larger locomotives, pulling power, big radius curves and the major railroads I had assumed that many of you had large layouts. Its comforting to know I'm not the only one who must deal with tighter than desired curves and must work within an area that is a good bit smaller than a full sized basement. Anyway here are a few things I'm curious to learn about your layouts.

Again what scale?

Type of Railroad ( Shortline, Large Railroad, Industrial )?

Prototype or Freelance?

Era?

Design ( point to point, loop, out and back, switching )?

Main Operational Focus: (Switching, way freight, passenger, main line)?

Maximum operators?

DC or DCC?

Length of main line run?

Minimum clear siding length ?

Minimum radius ?

How many turnouts ?

Number of locomotives? (the ones just for the layout)

Largest locomotive? (Again just for the layout)

Size of Planned Car roster?

Normal number of cars in a train?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Here's mine,

Again what scale? HO

Type of Railroad? ( Shortline, Large Railroad, Industrial ) Shortline

Prototype or Freelance? Prototype but with some necessary guesstimation and imagineering?

Era? 1910 to Early 1920's

Design ( point to point, loop, out and back, switching )? Point to point with a hidden continuous run

Main Operational Focus: (Switching, way freight, passenger, main line)? Way Freight, some passenger

Maximum Operators? 3 but 95% of the time only one.

DC or DCC? Wiring in blocks that are either on or off for single cab DC operation until DCC is installed.

Length of main line run? About 65'

Minimum clear siding length ? 4'

Minimum radius ? Tried to keep to 26" minimum but have to go to 22" at two spots. :(

How many turnouts ? 23

Number of locomotives? (the ones just for the layout) 5

Largest locomotive? (Again just for the layout) 2-8-0

Size of Planned Car roster? 60

Normal number of cars in a train? 5-6

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

HO

Class 1 (large)

Prototype: The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad's Shore Line Route between Boston and Providence.

Post-WWII until 1969.

Currently point to point with provisions for reverse loops at each end to be added.

All of the above.

I could have up to 4 or 5 engineers and another 3 or 4 non-engineer positions, but usually it's only the three of us.

DCC

200'

My road's double track the whole way, I have no sidings.

Main line: 30" / Freight yards: 29" / Industrial: 24"

A lot. At least 100.

At least 40 with decoders spread over 3 owners.

Steam: 2-10-2 / Diesel: DL109

I have at least 200 now, but I'm always looking for more.

Passenger: 10 / Freight: 25-ish.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

HO

Industrial

Freelance, but mostly B&O Motive power and rolling stock

Transition, 50's - 70's

Combination point to point and loop using NMRA compatabile modules.

Way freight

4 Comftortably

DCC - Lenz

About 210 ft as a loop or 100 ft point to point

6 ft
22 in

About 25 and counting

Right now about 12

Steam - 2-8-2, Diesel SD-40

Not sure yet

Probably 10

Larry Madson

Reply to
larry madson

HO

Nickel Plate Road secondary mainline.

Proto-freelance! :-)

1949 to 1953. Allows operation of leased ex-W&LE locos, and freight cars with K brakes.

Continuous run loop with live interchange.

Helper district and interchange switching.

5

NCE DCC.

Approximately 60 feet.

7.5 feet.

30" on visible track,

31, although this may change, as the track layout will undergo modification to refine operations.

16-18, depending on the particular operating session.

USRA 2-6-6-2.

Approximately 200 cars.

20-25 in freight trains, 5-6 in passenger.

Reply to
mark_newton

In message , Bruce Favinger writes

0, tinplate

Anything and everything

Oh, *very* freelance :-)

Varies. Early 30s, to mid 60s.

Loops

Main line

Two - self and young son.

AC :-)

Hmm. About 40 feet, I suppose.

6 feet.
027

About 20

About 50

In length? Unique Arts Rock Island AA set - almost 30 inches

I don't plan - they just accumulate.

10 or a dozen, thereabouts.
Reply to
Graeme Eldred

Mixed. Single track mainline, but operation emphasizes local freights.

Proto-lance. Southern RY, loosely based on Virginia area.

Transition

Double loop, but operated as point to point.

Way freight

2 - 3

DCC

Haven't measured. Train takes approx. 5 minutes to make one circuit at proto speed.

8-10 cars.

Not sure, probably 10"

Probably about 20, but who's counting? Most are in the main yard.

Future plans include an industrail/urban switching area, which will add 6-10, depending on how elaborate I actually get.

5, right now.

SD something or other.

Planned? Planned? Who plans such a thing?

50 or so, probably.

8-10

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

"Bruce Favinger" wrote in news:sFo0e.1108$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

N Scale

un-electrified passenger/freight line.

Freelanced

Late 1980's till today.

Point to loop or point to point.

Passenger services

1

DC

~4 meters

60cm

280mm

With the basic setup (head station, running module, local station, reverse loop) 6 or 7

4-6

DD51 center cab B-2-B diesel

Variable with layout.

4 cars per DMU
Reply to
JB/NL

1:20 to 1:32

A place to run steam engines.

Freelance

Steam Era.

Loop to loop.

Putting water in the boiler, lighting fire, oiling around, waiting for steam to come up, clear condensate, coupling to a train and trying to get it up the hill.

One per train, usually one.

Electricity?? C'mon. Radio control and chase after it.

About 250 feet.

20 feet

12 feet

12

Three, plus one under construction and one in need of rebuild.

0-4-2

Probably not many more than the 7 or 8 I have now.

4 - 7, depending on the weather.
Reply to
<wkaiser

A Kiso Railway Baldwin, perhaps? :-)

Reply to
mark_newton

connection to main line

Local freight and switching

Reply to
Jeff Hensley

Close. It's the Baldwin Philadelphia built from a machinist kit from one of your countrymen at Argyle Loco Works. I figured it was a Baldwin export to Australia for plantation use. It got measured up and shipped back to the states in model form. You might know, or be able to find out, more than I know about it.

The one under construction is also an 0-4-2. That's more coincidence than a fetish for that wheel arrangement. It's described at:

liked the looks of that little engine, and the design work was done, so I didn't need to design and build an engine. It runs on air, and if I can get myself out in the workshop long enough to connect the steam pipe I can try it no steam. I started building with the boiler, so it's already done.

Reply to
<wkaiser

Hmmm...call it a small town along a minor branch.

Freelance

Late 1800s - early 1900s. Or so.

Loop.

Operations? In a coffee table? OK: there's a passenger station, a freight depot spur, a stock-yard spur, an engine service spur, and a short tunnel so I can pretend the train goes Somewhere Else. Go nuts.

1

DC

69" (Wow, that's like a whole one-sixth of a scale mile!)

Siding? We don't need no steenkin' sidings....

7.5"

4

2, only one of which can run at a time.
4-4-0 (or two-truck Shay if I can get one).

Passenger: 1 combine + two coaches. Freight: ~half-a-dozen + 4-wheel caboose.

Freight: 4 or 5.

-- Kizhe

Reply to
Lt. Kizhe Catson

snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu wrote: > mark_newton wrote: >

Ah, THAT Baldwin 0-4-2! Oddly enough, I do know a bit about it - one of these engines is preserved locally, and I've done some boiler work on it when it was undergoing restoration. Give me a couple of days to find some stuff and scan it, and I can give you chapter and verse on the thing...

Very nice! I'd be interested in seing how it turns out. What's involved in building a miniature boiler like this? Is there a code? What materials and construction methods do you use?

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

That'd be great. Thanks. I was always curious about how a Baldwin came back to the US.

As far as I know, miniature boilers are exempt from boiler codes, but I didn't go looking for any. Some years ago the state of Michigan instituted a code that required all boilers to be built by certified people. The local live steam clubs got together and talked with the legislators, and in one of the rare instances of politicians acting with common good sense, they exempted miniature boilers from their code.

The boiler is copper tube, household plumbing stuff. The ends are pieces of tube cut and flattened and flanged over. The boiler is a Biggs type: fire tube but with no water leg around the firebox. Much simpler to build that a standard loco type boiler, but more complicated than a center flue type. There's a girder stay on top of the firebox crown sheet, and one hollow longitudinal stay that acts as the blower pipe.

A few rivets and friction held things together for silver soldering. After silver soldering, and more silver soldering to plug all the leaks, I hydro tested it 200 PSI. That'll hold for the 25 - 50 PSI I'll need to pull a train.

Reply to
<wkaiser

"O" -- 1.48

Transit

Prototype - Pittsburgh Railways Company (PRCo)

1930--1953

Out and Back

Passenger

Undetermined -- manual to full computer planned.

DCC

Much double track -- sidings with max for 3-TrolleyCars.

40-Scale Feet -- 10-Inches!!!

Test Layout under construction -- retirement layout would hopefully be considerably larger!

100+ + + + +

58-foot length -- West Penn Center Entrance.

No MU Operation -- potential but probably not.

Jim__Holland

({[down__with__pantographs]})_--_UP__With__TrolleyPoles

Reply to
NoOne