Large-Scale track question

"All of the models in this book are designed with special couplers so that even the longest locomotive or car will negotiate the tight

24-inch radius curves."

Anyone familiar with those "special couplers" please inform me.

I appreciate it; thank you,

Darryl

Reply to
Darryl

I'm sure he would be refering to those horrific LGB loop and hook at one end couplers.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Or maybe those almost equally horrific hinged knuckle couplers Bachmann uses. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Wash your mouth out! ;-) I think the book pre-dates the Bachmann things.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

The unfortunate thing is that since he didn't say or show what the couplers are, nobody but him and his cronies will probably ever know. I hate it when people start using words like that to describe things as it is a conspiracy type of word that implies inside knowledge of something. The thing may be rather unique in its design but there is absolutely no reason why it can't be shown to all for their edification.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Aah, they're just the couplers used by LGB, Bachmann, etc. A car equipped with true scale couplers (possible in large scale) and prototypical coupler boxes couldn't negotiate 24" radius curves (which scale out to about 40ft radius curves in 1:20.3 narrown gauge, or 64ft in 1:32 standrad gauge).

In Real Life, streetcars could negotiate curves of about 40ft radius, but they had specially designed couplers with long shanks, swinging coupler boxes, etc. Also, coupler extensions (bars) were used when switching standard railroad cars on streetcar trackage - but those cars were limited to curves of about 100ft radius or larger, on account of truck swing problems.

Schleicher just meant that the couplers are nowhere near close to protypical.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir