Now I've seen it all <G>

I come across some awful bodges perpetrated on boats from time to time, and some bizarre uses of silicone sealer, but this was a new one on me. I'm renewing the 2" dia prop shaft & bearing on a 70 year old boat, the old one had about 1/2" of play in the bearing. The bearing is about 10" long, cast iron with a bronze bush.The shaft probably ran originally directly in the cast iron, lubrication is by water or a bit of grease if you're lucky. I'd noticed a build up of crud at the inner end of the bush, where the shaft isn't free to wave about as much as the outer end. A bit of investigation found this to be RTV silicone - it seems that someone had injected silicone sealer into the bearing to try to reduce the play!! Maybe there's some fancy silicone sold for this sort of job? I've no idea whether it had ever done any good, but it certainly wasn't by the time it came to me. The bearing, judging by the state of the retaining studs, hadn't been out for at least 15 years. The silicone must have been injected via the greaser union! There are 'rubber' prop shaft bearings available, but AFAIK they are neoprene, and made with longitudinal flutes and arrangements to ensure a flow of water from one end to the other. I'm not convinced about RTV silicone as a bearing material, even under water. A lot of boat repair can be described as bodging (doing the best you can in the circumstances/with the money available), but I like to think mine are of a better class than this

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

That's what I was alluding to above (stictly it's cutlEss)

Perish the thought. Maybe the same cowboys have moved on to boats? You've got me thinking now. Bronze loaded body filler anyone?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Maybe you haven't seen it all yet? :)

A few companies already sell bronze loaded polyesters. Bronze loaded epoxies are quite common too. They are actually quite good for repairing lightly stressed bearings.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I'd guessed that such things do exist, it was the concept of injecting them through the greaser which appealed as perhaps a bodge one degree better than the RTV silicone. Pewrhaps I should investigate further, New stern bearings fitted without drydocking, wonder miracle cure, etc

Some info on cutless type bearings, for those who may be interested, at

I'm interested in this stuff

Having tried oil bearing nylon some years ago, with poor results, It's very tempting to stick to the old technology which everyone knows & which works, but the blurb does make this stuff look promising.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

There are many thermoplastics suitable for bearings these days, with all sorts of additives. One we use at work is an acetal loaded with ptfe. Most of these materials are based on acetal, as it has very good frictional properties to start with.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I'm I've seen Tufnol used as bearing material in high performance boat apps - 1 inch prop shaft turning at 12000 rpm

That is to say I've seen it removed from such a boat looking a bit charred

Steve

Reply to
Steve

re plastic bearings

i used to work at a plastic bearing moulders they make plastic inners/outers and cages in different type of plastic ,in some instances using ground glass balls . injection moulding leave a hard durable skin on the tracks where the balls ru

-

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

Perhaps it was someone's idea of a cutlass bearing? :-)

As for introducing bearing media through the grease nipple, I've known of cowboys that have resurrected worn kingpin bushes, albeit temporarily, by injecting body filler with a grease gun. Most were refugees from northern hemisphere railway arch establishments..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I was actually alluding to pirate version...Too deep? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

In article , Steve writes

*boggle*

How the *hell* do they prevent cavitation at those speeds?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Is that from the "Deerhunter " ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In article , John Stevenson writes

Haven't you got a workshop to tidy, or a Reliant to burn, or something?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Ah, Knaresborough - where they have Dripping Wells. Never seen them, I imagine some association with Jam Butty mines?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Must be a *very* small propellor? I wonder why Tufnol? it swells in water (as does Nylon), clearances at that sort of speed must be fairly critical. Is it known as a bearing material (wet)?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Good point. Waiting to the stove the get the temperature up a tad and then go do some work. It's bloody cold in there with all that iron. The mercury dropped that low in the thermometer last night it trapped a rat on the floor.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The boat has been officially clocked at 150mph+ over a two way run over 1km.

What is amazing is the drag of 1 sq inch of rudder at those speeds -

The motor is a V8 chevy tuned to 750 bhp IIRC

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you're into fast boats take a look at this

I had no idea this was going on until a couple of weeks ago, there doesn't seem to have been a lot of mainstream media coverage. It's good to see someone trying to bring another world speed record back to the UK.

Regards

Kevin

PS I don't think I'd fancy piloting this thing at those kind of speeds over a lake.

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Something strong in the tea this morning, John??? :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes