parts and sub-assemblies in sub-directories

  • A config.pro option called search_path: Browse to the location that you want included in the search. I believe it checks for files at the terminus, not recrusively through the whole string. So if you have files at several levels in a multilevel directory stucture, each level needs to be included as a separate search_path statement.

  • If you don't want to clutter up config.pro piles of search_path entries, create a file called search.pro that contains all these paths. In config.pro, point to this file with the option search_path_file.

The Fundementals section of the Help file gives a very detailed description of how to go about this. Just search on 'search path'.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi Chaps,

I tried to be clever/organised, and created a structure of directories/sub-directories to match the structure of assemblies/sub-assemblies for a project within in ProE.

Unfortunately, when I open the top-level assembly, it says (recursively) that it can't find the part, and I 'quick fix' / 'find component' manually to locate the part myself (tedious).

Is there a way of getting pro/e to look in subdirectories by itself? or do I have to put all the stuff in one directory (not ideal)?

Thanks ia,

Matthew Rutherford

Reply to
Matthew Rutherford

One small addition to David's post.

If you have a complicated project it often pays to create a config.pro & search.pro for just that project. Put these file at the top level project folder and create an icon to launch Pro/E from that project folder. Remember that config options are cumulative so you only need to put options relating to the project and not a complete duplicate config.pro.

That way you can launch Pro/E for that project and you'll have all your project settings, your working directory already set, and search paths that pertain only to that project. Plus you still get to keep your default config options and your personal config options.

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks Guys

MR

Reply to
Matthew Rutherford

Make sure that you do not duplicate files because all of these methods will find the first file that matches the correct file name and use it regardless of its version (if you use a part named "washer" repeatedly, for example, only the first one on the search path will ever be found). Saving files will not result in their going to the directory they came from but the current working directory instead. Your best bet is to keep all your projects in their own directories if you must seperate them.

If you share parts or assemblies between projects (and if they change over time this is even more important) spend the extra cash for PDM software. I have had consultants do work for me that did not use PDM software (while I do) and this is an equally large problem. If you are consulting make sure that whatever you do is compatible with your clients needs.

Reply to
Kevin

I believe setting a few obscure config options correctly will prevent this.

I agree. But if you must you can protect shared components by putting them in the library provided you have the Pro/LIBRARY_ACCESS module.

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous

Since I actually attempted to do this myself (before giving up and getting PDM software) I am fairly certain that there are no obscure config options that will fix this. However, if it is still free to use, you might try using Pro/Collaborate to accomplish your goal for $0. I am not 100% sure but I think you can make it do the job.

Reply to
Kevin

From memory:

override_store_back no save_object_in_current no

There may have been a few more, but it is possible to keep Pro/E from indiscriminately dumping library files/files from other directories into your current working directory.

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous