configurations and mirrored parts

I have a part with some complicated chamfers. A drawing was made of the as drawn and of a mirred part. Now I've added a configuration to the original part showing a 'as welded' view (some holes removed and a couple of weld bevels added). My part drawing will show the 'as welded' configuration and the assembly drawing will show the part in all it's glory. That works fine but how do I address the mirrored part? I tried creating a config and filling in the holes with extrudes but since some of the holes were tapped (taped?) I get an error on the cosmetic threads. I've been using SolidWorks for 6 years and I've never ran across this problem before. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jeff

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Jeff, If I read this right, How about creating a config of the mirrored part before "mirroring", suppress the tapped holes, then put a new set of tapped holes with only the ones needed in the mirrored part, then "mirror" the part.

----Or suppress the tapped holes and put them(only the ones needed) in "after" the mirror operation.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

I think that Michael is on the right path in that you should create another configuration in the parent part prior to mirroring. This allows you to have unique features per component if need be. The mirrored component is derived from a specific configuration of the parent at the time the mirror is created. Therefore, any additional features you want present in one or both components would be created in the parent and the feature's display state would be controlled per configuration of the parent. I think at this point you should:

1) move the mirrored part to a backup directory. 2) start a new session of SW. 3) open only the parent part and add the configuration(s). 4) recreate the mirrored part deriving it from the appropriate configuration of the parent...make sure to use the exact same name as the previous mirrored part so that the references remain intact.

This may screw up your drawing dimensions and/or notes of the mirrored part. Feel free to contact me directly if you wish...it may be easier to talk through it on the phone or to do a web meeting.

Tim

Reply to
T. Struemke

Thanks for you replies, I found the simplest thing to do was to turn off the cosmetic threads in the source part. But I do see the merit in the suggestions offered.

Thanks again, Jeff

Reply to
NOT REALLY ME