Problem with cropped views in SW assemblies

Hello all,

I found what appears to be a glitch in SW drawings when attempting to crop a view. The entire crop outline shows up on the drawing instead of only the part that intersects the models. Specifically, this occurs

when cropping an assembly drawing view, when referencing a Display State with hidden components. I have created a very simple example if someone can tell me how/where to post the files, I would love to get some feedback on this issue, and see if there might be a work around. My guess is that if I used configurations to hide components (the old way), that this problem would go away, but I have begun using Display States recently, and am trying to make them work if possible. Any help

would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Apparently using configurations vs. Display States makes no difference. The problem exists either way with assembly components hidden. Suppressing them is the only way I've found to fix the problem, however this is not an option for me in my "real-life" example, since I have inter-part relationships which would be affected.

Any ideas???

Reply to
Josh

Can anyone suggest a way for me to post some example files to the group for help with this issue? I'm a bit stuck since my drawing view needs to be cropped, but the result does not look right. My only other solution is to export the finished drawing to AutoCAD and then manually edit the visible crop boundary for the sake of a good plot, however this is obviously not the best case scenario, as text and dimensions do not always look the same when exported to .dxf/.dwg. Please provide any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

-JOSH

Reply to
Josh

you might try putting files on

i haven't tried it myself, so you're on your own.

bill

Reply to
rider89

Okay,

I figured out how to post files using my existing Yahoo! Briefcase. Please find my example files zipped at the URL below...

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Please advise if anyone has a workaround or fix for the above mentioned problem.

Thanks!

-JOSH

Reply to
Josh

Is your problem only occuring when you have hidden parts that overlap the border of your crop? If this is the case, then I don't believe you will find a work around, becuase SWs is doing exactly what it should do. Those parts are hidden, but are still being evaluated, so it should show the crop edges. If you problem is occuring when your crop goes completely outside of your assembly area, then I don't know what to tell you, becuase I have never seen that.

Reply to
cntryfun

I can understand why SolidWorks is doing this when parts are simply hidden, however if they are suppressed, wouldn't this be a different scenario? The only thing I can think of is to create a duplicate assembly minus the parts that I don't want to show, and then use it to create the cropped drawing view. While I think this would work, I don't think it is the best practice, since then I would need to maintain updates in two separate assemblies. Still pondering...Has anyone else seen this problem?

-JOSH

Reply to
Josh