components on layers

I have been using solidworks for awhile but never had a need until now to put components on layers in a drawing. My task is to create some solidworks drawing templates with certain layers so that when that drawing template is used to create a drawing for an assembly the correct components will show up on the correct layers. I have been using solidworks long enough to know that I am pretty sure that solidworks out of the box does not do that. Can anyone confirm? Does anyone have any recommendations on how this can be accomplished?

Thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

it can be done -- just not necessary if all you use is solidworks.

1.. create your drawing of your assembly 2.. create the layer you want (with color & line type) from the layer toolbar 3.. right click on a face of a component from the drawing view 4.. choose "component line font" 5.. uncheck "use document defaults" 6.. choose the layer for the component in the bottom right 7.. click OK You can also specify if you want that layer in all views or only one view. Once applied you should now be able to hide that layer (which hides the part) or change it when needed.

Hope that helps

Steve Tietz

Reply to
SteveT

Wow! Learnt somthin new.... Cool!!!!

I just played with it and found one limitation with this though. Once you hide a layer that a component is attached, the component appears to still be there, just all of the edges are hidden. You still can't see anything behind it. I would not expect it to work like this. May be a bug. (bug?!?!? bug?!?!? What's that???)

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Sam,

There is an example macro included in your native SW API Help. Just search for "Put Assembly Components in Drawing View on Different Layers Example".

I have a custom macro to assign certain components to certain layers, but it would probably take some tweaking to get it match your system.

What SteveT said is exactly right. We just prefer to use the API and automate the process as much as possible.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

Seth,

This is the way SW handles hidden parts. I too would consider it a bug, but SW does not. If you truely want the part to be hidden in a drawing and expose the components behind it, then you have to either do a Section View in the drawing or switch over to the assembly and add a configuration where the parts are hidden or suppressed (then those components will be completely hidden in the drawing when using that configuration).

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

Not true! You can right click on any of the parts in an assembly drawing and select: component>show/hide>hide component. This will hide the component completely from the view. Everything behind it will be perfectly visible.

It is only when you add the part to a hidden layer that it doesn't hide the part completely. When doing this it only hides the edges of the part. Faces are still actually there (though not exactly visible) hiding everything behind it. You can even still select the faces of the part.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Then what am I missing then? It is not working that way for me. Please review my previous response to SteveT. That is how it works for me.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I did not know that the Show/Hide Component would do that too, good to know. As far as still being able to select faces of components on hidden layers, I'm with you because I would not expect it to work the way it does either (but that *is* how it has worked since at least SW2003).

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

Yes. we all need to fill out the enhancement request form & ask for the functionality to not select hidden layers. I would recommend that we ask for a TOOL OPTION setting to turn it on & off however -- cause someone will want it the other way (current way).

Steve Tietz

Reply to
SteveT