Question regarding layers.

I am new to Solidworks but have been using CAM apps a long time now, such as FeatureCAM, GibbsCAM. Anyway I use layers all the time in the CAM apps so I can make various parts each on their own layer, then turn on and off the layers for creating assmblies. I see Solidworks has layers in the diagram (blueprint) but I don't see having layers when creating parts. I would like creating a part in each layer so I don't have to make a "New" file for each part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
vega

In SW you don't make everything in one part, you make separate parts. However, you can now come close to that by making parts in an assembly and save them internally. SW is not geared towards going the whole 9 yards from part to print in multibodies.

Layers don't make sense in an assembly when it is possible to have parts that can actually move around if you drag them.

In solid modeling layers don't make sense. Paradigm change. Look in the help for two basics:

1) Suppress as in suppressing a component in an assembly and a feature in a part. 2) Configurations which include the ability to control which component or feature is in a suppressed or active state.

Once you have mastered these then look at:

3) The Isolate command

4) The concept of Display states.

TOP

Reply to
manager

Thank you very much for your replies and help. I understand now. I need to change my way of looking at it as I have been doing one way so long. I guess it shows that i must be getting to be up there in age. You get more narrow minded. But when it comes to learning new ways I am still up to the challenge. When I quit learning something new everyday, its time to hang it up. Thanks again.

Reply to
vega