Help! My components have disappeared!

I have a assembly file of under a 100 components in it and all of a sudden some of them "disappeared". I opened the individual part files and they are also "invisible". They are not suppressed, set to Lightweight mode or hidden in any way. Upon seeing this I closed the program and decided to reboot. As it was rebooting, 4 error messages showed up like rapid fire, and I was unable to catch what it said before it proceeded to reboot. Has any had this happen before? What did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Katie

Reply to
renfrokatie

I have not seen something like this except when a hard drive starts to die.

Be sure you immediately backup EVERYTHING in your data files, and I hope to gosh you have backup tapes from the day before.

I do not know whether you are working off of a server or what, but this sounds like SAFETY is the immediate concern, until you know a LOT more than now.

Bo

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Forgot to be as clear as I might, in that it can obviously be a number of hardware or software issues.

If I had the problem, and I worked on critical parts, I would instantly move to another PC for safety's sake until I knew what really happened.

Bo

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Bo

This happens most usually if SolidWorks has crashed and SW has opened a backup copy of the assembly. In a such case you have to open each individual part file ('duh!) and hit CTRL-Q (aka. Force Rebuild(tm)) to fix the problem. Have you tried this?

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Good point if indeed that "backup" was the problem.

I simply haven't had this type of problem occur, so this is new to me, and I'll remember your suggestion.

After early problems with SolidWorks, I just stopped putting my PC on a network of any type, and my SolidWorks productivity jumped, as OS & Swks issues almost completely disappeared.

That is unacceptable to most companies and users, but "it works" in more ways than one.

2nd computers for miscellaneous work, are garden variety & sold at peanuts pricing, though, so maybe there is more to TCO analysis than sometimes considered when it comes to professional work.

Bo

Heikki Leivo wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Reply to
rjahrsdoerfer

Is this problem something associated only with SWks 2006 or 2007 or more versions?

Thanks - Bo

snipped-for-privacy@napcosecurity.com wrote:

Reply to
Bo

i am seeing this also. occoasionally we are either opening an assembly/part or just working in an assembly/part. for the assembly one of my users deleted one part from the tree and immediately hit UNDO. this shows the assembly again. not good but it works. on part files we close and re-open and part is now visible again, another not good but works. SWx 2006 SP3.4 and i reported it to my var who cannot replicate the item but did submit it to SWx corp. iQ

and i am still looking for the good SWx version/SP, may have a long wait.

Reply to
iQ

I have had some parts turn transparent or partly transparent a couple of times. Mostly with an assembly similar to the size you are working with and after a couple of hours of work. I have always suspected this to be sometype of memory leak, probalby in the video card or driver. You may want to make sure that the card is approved and you have the right driver. I have always been able to correct this by rebooting.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Ed

If you are seeing error message look in event viewer to find out what they are. See help under the Start Menu to find out how to access event viewer.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
TOP