Help posting images to abms

I have some model jpgs I want to post to abms, but I'm not getting it right--as in nothing seems to be happening. I've tried cut-and-paste of the images, and attaching the image files to the posting doc, but don't see anything happening, so I haven't actually tried to post to the ng.

I'm running a Mac w/ OS 9.2; my newsreader is MT-Newswatcher 3.1.

TIA

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Help -> Online Manual - Features - Viewing and Sending Binaries - Posting binaries. Here's a direct link:

BTW, you might want to upgrade to MT-NW 3.4:

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Thanks--I'll see if I can get this to work.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Hi Mark,

I can see you posts but they seem to be encrypted (yenc) Not all isp's allow binary posts to groups, so see if you can use this facility with your ISP before posting.

Spence

Reply to
Warty

binary posts to groups, so see if you can use this facility with your ISP before posting.>>

As a sidebar, how do we download and view posts that are Yencoded? I've seen some that are labeled Yenc, and it appears that it is not only encoded, but segmented, ie, one post broken up into several dowmloads, because they're labeled (1/*), (2/*), etc. Is this true, or have I interpreted these incorrectly?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

yEnc is not a form of encryption. Like BinHex and uuencode, it's a way to encode binary data into a text message.

If an ISP carries the binary newsgroups, I would expect them to allow their users to post attachments in those groups too.

"Disco -- FlyNavy" wrote:

Downloading & viewing yEnc posts should be as simple as selecting the message and using a "download binaries/attachments" button or menu command. But some newsreaders don't understand yEnc; if yours doesn't, look for one that does.

Or you can get a yEnc decoder utility or plugin, and either tell your newsreader to use that to decode yEnc attachments, or save the entire message and then drop it onto the decoder utility.

Try looking on newsreaders.com and versiontracker.com for newsreaders and yEnc utilities.

If the filenames are exactly the same, it's just one download; it was split during posting so the individual messages wouldn't be too big. Exactly how you download it depends on your newsreader, but basically you just select the message(s) and click "download attachment", and it downloads one file.

If the filenames have part numbers, like "xxxx.part12.rar" or "xxxx.r12", then it was split into multiple files before posting. You have to download all the parts, then join them together using a RAR program.

You'll also see .PAR, .PAR2, and .P01 (etc) files. You usually don't have to download them, but they can be used to test whether the main files were downloaded without errors, and if necessary to repair or rebuild any damaged or missing parts before joining them together. To use them you need a PAR or PAR2 program like QuickPAR.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris