Re: If D-Day Had Been Reported On Today

If D-Day Had Been Reported On Today

They would still be ignoring the Allied forces that had invaded Europe via Italy in 1943.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

rumored to be considering breaking off the attack entirely.>>

Personally, I think we have no business there, we should withdraw now before we suffer any more needles deaths. Based on this report, we obviously have zero chance of success at Normandy, or anywhere else in Europe, so we should just get our troops out and get them home. Where will this lead? Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to attack Berlin itself, and we'll have to fight our way clear across Europe to get there. Can you imagine how bad that will be? We can't win, it just won't work, period....Aren't we glad no one listened? As an American, and a veteran, I would like to say thank you to those who had the courage to press on despite the odds--I salute your honor and your memory.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

This was not "Wildcat's point". He was simply re-printing a column that has had wide-spread release over the past week. They are *not* Wildcat's words, they are the words of William A. Mayer...as shown in the column's byline. I am surprised that you have not read this column yet, and are seeing it here for the first time.

In no way was Wildcat, nor Mr. Mayer, trying to show disrespect to those who served in WWII. The intent of the article, was to illustrate the absurd negativism of today's press coverage, by juxtaposing this negativism upon an event of the past. Remember, even near the end of 1946, there were those in the press who were writing that we had "lost the peace" in Europe, and that rebuilding Germany is a lost cause (due to the internal strife, political bickering, fighting with insurgents, etc...).

We all know that liberating Europe, and rebuilding Germany WAS a success. So Mr. Mayer's column, meant as a "slam" against the negative media, is in a way. actually SHOWING respect to those who served, and sacrificed.

And the column WAS about history. Model building is about representing history, as well. So, the posting was somewhat "on-topic".

Your attack on Wildcat was unwarranted.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Which nation did the assaulting, and which the murdering? Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

'96 was a Clinton year. You take it from there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

The perp was Spanish. Didn't you read the article?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

No, I was commenting on murky language of the poster. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Golly, are we going to now slide into a writing lesson? I've pieced things together on the internet many times, hoping I've gotten the intent of the writer.

And let's not mention the spelling....:Þ

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Foggy unclear writing means foggy unclear thinking. If I wanted to read posting chock full of spelling errors, poor grammar, and malapropism, I could stay at work and read my colleague's memos.

Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Foggy unclear writing is also a discourtesy to the reader. Like Bill, I am usually able to unravel the meaning of a post, and I rarely complain, but I have a lot more trouble taking a writer seriously when they cannot get the basics right. OTOH, I am very poor at keyboarding, so I generate a lot of typos on my first pass here, and I don't always catch the errors. I hope they are few enough and far enough between that the readers are only angry at me for my political views...

By its very nature, this medium is more conversational, so the communication is going to be a little less formal. I prefer to keep the writing as clear as possible, and would dearly love to see that standard applied by all.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Typos are one thing, I make enough myself......deliberate illiteracy is a pain though......u r such a dv8 2......that crap I skip.

Reply to
Ron