D-Day Spitfire

Hi all,

I recall seeing a photograph somewhere of a crash-landed Spit with D-Day markings laying in a French field with a convoy of Shermans trundling past. At the time I thought it would make a good diorama subject but I have never been able to find a copy of the photo again for reference.

Does this jog anyone's memory and if so, could you please direct me to the photograph (prefereably on line)? I have tried several Google searches, but have not come up with the goods.

Cheers, James.

Reply to
James Venables

I have an "Illustrated World War Two Encyclopedia" which has a similar view, only the aircraft in question is a Horsa glider, not a Spitfire. The tanks are Duplex-drive Shermans of the British forces. This Encyclopedia is written by Lt. Col Eddy Bauer. The specific page is in Volume 11, page 1506...but this photo may be on a different page if the printing is a different one than the one I have.

I've also found one of a German Panzer passing a wrecked glider.

And in the same search I found a Spitfire in D-Day markings!

Hope this helps!

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 "How much comfort would you think I'd expect to get from a God that others persist in using as a weapon against me?"--Tepid 9:26

Reply to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

James, This sounds like a pic I saw in a WaterMark decal for Canadian Spitfires. Could be in one of the Canadian Spitfire books. Curt

Reply to
Curt

"Spitfire, The Canadians", page 110, Auth: Robert Bracken, published by Stoddart. ISBN 1-55046-1486

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Many thanks Bill,

I'll try to find the publication. On the other hand, since I only want the photo, is there any chance you could send me a scanned copy (assuming you have the reference)? Since it's for private use only, this shouldn't breach copyright laws.

Best wishes, James.

Reply to
James Venables