Photograph encapsulation

I am searching for ideas on how to mount a photograph between two pieces of clear acrylic sheet, permanently and with "archival" qualities. This would not be a "one-off".

I think the issues are:

1) Adhesive must be optically clear and non-yellowing

2) It must bond to acrylic

3) It must not attack or damage the photograph prior to full cure

4) Sheet size could be quite large (up to 1m or more in length)

5) Thought must be given to the application/lamination process to preclude air bubbles or other contamination

My understanding is that this application is currently achieved by a proprietary liquid silicone adhesive based process, which is not openly available.

Any suggestions for specific products would be appreciated.

TIA, Peter

Reply to
peter1810

You may want to consult a conservator for recommended adhesives. To be considered archival, the adhesive must be reversible meaning that it can be removed from the photograph without damaging it in any way. Secondly, it is considered bad practice for the artwork to come in contact with the glazing. In humid conditions, it is possible for the emulsion to become attached to the glazing and the photograph may be ruined. You should use a spacer to keep the photo off the front glazing.

John

Reply to
JohnR66

Thank you. Perhaps I should not have used the term "archival", which seems to have a specific technical meaning. What I meant was that the image should be preserved in a viewable state without degradation. It does not have to be recoverable. Peter

Reply to
peter1810

You may want to search

There are people there very familiar with the numerous adhesives used in framing art.

John

Reply to
JohnR66

I assume you want to laminate the back of the photograph to the acylic sheet.

I don't see the advantage of using a silicone for this application. An acrylic PSA would be an obvious choice. Is there some reason an off the shelf "photo-mount" adhesive wouldn't work?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The application calls for adhesive on both faces, a full lamination. My assumption as to why silicone is to compensate for thermal expansion if the pieces are quite large (it's soft) and because silicones can have good non-yellowing characteristics?

Peter

Reply to
peter1810

Why would you need to laminate the front of the photo? It's going to greatly complicate the application with the potential to damage the image.

I don't see why thermal expansion would be an issue with either a silicone or acrylic adhesive. Acrylics are UV resistant and will resist yellowing.

What is the photo made from? Traditional emulsion? Digital print?

Reply to
Tom

Peter, Sorry I am late responding, but you could try:

or a company called UPM Raflatac

Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Reply to