D-Day C-47s

Hi Troops:
Maryland Public TV is running a couple of interesting programs tonight,
one on D-Day and one on John Ford's World War II documentaries. The
D-Day program reminds me of one of my wished for projects, a D-Day C-47.
The D-Day footage on the airborne landings shows the C-47s with the two
cargo carriers underneath that were used to drop supply packets. I've
always wanted to do a D-Day C-47 and I have not been able to find any
details on those cargo racks. Has anyone out there seen any drawings or
articles on these fittings??
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Didn't the Sheep Payne flyer in the original release of the C-47 have drop canisters as part of the diorama?
Reply to
Bill Woodier
Thanks, that's a lead I will have to check up on!
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Yes. IIRC, they were three cylinder-shaped canisters, with a parachute bundle attached to the fronts.
Found a pic:
Pauli G
Yes! One picture is worth 1000 words indeed.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Yeah....one little mistake. ;~/
Reply to
Bill Woodier
If you happen to have the movie "A Bridge Too Far," they show some of these being dropped to the Brit Paras. In one scene, you can even see a man undoing the shackle from it and can get a good view of the bottom "crush plate."
Reply to
Bill Woodier