Annotation views - Saving section view in model

I have been trying to learn how to use annotation views but I am not sure I understand how it is supposed to work. I am trying to create a section view of my assembly and save it in the assembly so that the section view is available to use in any drawing referencing that assembly. I thought using annotation views would accomplish that but so far I am not getting it to work. I can create the section view, click save as in the prop manager, select to save it as an annotation view and everything seems fine. Create a drawing, in the task pane I switch to the view pallette tab and from the drop down select the assembly and the list of available views populate, I select the section view that I have saved with the assembly and try to drag it onto my drawing view but that view will not "drop" on the drawing. I am able to add other views from the view palette (front, left, right, etc..) but not the annotation view that I created.

Can anyone explain to me how to save a section view in the model in such a way that I will be able to use that saved section view in a drawing? Ideally I would like to use annotation views but if you know of another way please let me know. But I should point out some limitations, due to limitations of a 3rd party software we use with sw I am unable to use configurations and because of the number of section views I want to save I would also be unable to use assembly cuts. I am also considering using display states as well but that only allows me to control visibility not actually section.

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Sam, I am also hoping someone else here can explain how this works. I have tried the same proceedure you explained after reading the help - BTW not helpful either ! I can see the views there but they do not come into drawing when dragged - get some kind of unhelpful message.... then nothing on the page. Go figure ??

Reply to
Nev Williams

I think that Annotation Views are meant to be used with 3D annotations that are attached to your model, not to drawings. Search for 3D annotations in Help and read the section with that title.

Jerry Steiger

I think you are correct and I think that is what I want to do, create an annotation view but I have no 3D annotations to attach so I just need the view, then insert that view into my drawing.

I have read the information on annotation views and 3D annotatiosn but so far no luck. Probably some small step I am missing. I will try again when I get time.

Reply to
Sam

Sam, I am not sure I totally understand the question but maybe you want to try this: In the model create your section view, in the section view property manager click on the Save button. When the dialog box pops up, be sure to check the Drawing annotation view radio button. The view then shows up in your view palette when you have the drawing open. To insert it into the drawing you must have a "Parent" view like Top or Right. Note that you can give the view a name such as Section A-A. I think that the Annotation views are more intended for adding annotations to the 3D model, although you can import them into your drawing using the Insert - Model Items command. Hope this helps.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Dorman