Help! "cross section not parallel" What?

I have been doing the same thing for over a year an all the sudden I feel like an idiot. I have Pro/E 2001 and when I am in the drawing mode I am trying to select the cross section to place it comes back with "Cross section is not parallel to screen. Reselect cross-section?" I know that it is parallel because the Datum plan that it was made on isa the one that I selected to orient it? Ergh! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have I done something really stupid and I just don't realize it yet?

Reply to
et2piei

Problems like this reveal the superiority of modelling over drafting and the difficulties of working in 2d vs 3d. That's why I decided to never do sectioning in drawing mode but to do all of it in the model. Selection of datums, creation of views and generally, manipulation of the model is available which does not even exist in drafting. Here's a procedure for producing sections which will show flawlessly in drawing mode.

1) Create section datums, then use 'Setup>Names' to rename the datum to something like 'Sec-A', anything to indicate the section name you will use it to create. Create and rename datums, even it they are 'Through' default datums; 2) Create the named sections using your named datums; 3) Create a 'saved view' of each of these sections, named to indicate its use and oriented the way you want it to appear in the drawing. If you can create a saved view, you will have no problem using it to place a drawing view. Using 'saved views' is a much more reliable way of placing a properly oriented view than picking datums in 2d drawing mode. Be sure to orient the saved view so that you will have a view available for showing the cut plane arrows. 4) Create 'General' views in drawing mode, not 'Projected' views. A projected view offers the possibility that the section cut plane will not be parallel to the projected rotation plane. With a general view and placing the drawing view with 'saved views', this will not arise. The only problem you could subsequently have is not finding a view to which the cut plane is normal for placing the cut plane arrows. But that problem should be anticipated and solved in setting up the 'saved views'.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

David,

Thank you for the idea, I know that it will make things go smoother in the future. I ended up being able to do it but I ha to to it all ass-backward. I am doing some work(boat design) for a company in China usually I can just send a solid model but they wanted umpteen cross section views. Once again thank you.

Reply to
et2piei