Section View Problems

Note: I am using SW2004 Sp1

When I try to create a section view in a drawing of an assembly, things show up in the section view that were hidden in the model of the assembly. The individual models look fine. The sub-assemblies look fine. The complete assembly looks fine. The section view looks like crap! Help!

Reply to
ne-iowan

No surfaces. What is showing up is parts that I used to make sketches off of to produce geometry on other parts, and then hid in that part file.

Reply to
ne-iowan

If You have surfaces in some parts that are nott hidden in the assy they will show up in the section view

Krister

ne-iowan skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:_WAMb.33839$na.25072@attbi_s04...

Reply to
Krister L

Hmm....no more bells ringing here.....have You tried to hide them in the drawing....find them in the tree for the specific view, right klick and take show/hide... hide component

Krister

ne-iowan skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:S5BMb.35342$xy6.88253@attbi_s02...

Reply to
Krister L

Or are You using several configs and have a config with not hidden part in that view ?

Krister L

ne-iowan skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:S5BMb.35342$xy6.88253@attbi_s02...

Reply to
Krister L

Yes, I've tried this, but when I right click it only gives me the option to hide the body that it was hidden within, so then it hides more than I want it to hide.

Reply to
ne-iowan

Nope, already checked that out. This is soooooo fun!

Reply to
ne-iowan

Wasn't there a problem with SP1 and section views?

Mike J. Wilson

I'm not sure I really follow You here.....exactly what is showing up in the section view, and no supposed to be there ....whole parts or just sketches in parts

Krister L

ne-iowan skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:UVBMb.34967$I06.228071@attbi_s01...

Reply to
Krister L

You "should" be able to step back to SP1 or SP0 and back to SP2 with no problems.

But, then, you are dealing with consistently inconsistent software, SolidWorks.

..

ne-iowan wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

And You're sure You didn't use any offset surfaces to cut with or extend to ...which now are not hidden

Krister

ne-iowan skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:reCMb.35644$xy6.88715@attbi_s02...

Reply to
Krister L

No offset surfaces that I know of.

message

Reply to
ne-iowan

Then I'm out of ideas ..sorry

Krister

ne-iowan skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:ZJDMb.35737$I06.228607@attbi_s01...

diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:_WAMb.33839$na.25072@attbi_s04...

Reply to
Krister L

Would "hidden line removed" selected under System Options, Drawings, Display Style solve your problem?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I created part (a), inserted part (a) into an assembly, then created another part (b) incontext to edges of part (a), hide part (a) in assembly, created an assembly drawing, created a section through assembly. I don't see any lines related to part (a) in the section view. Or am I not understanding the problem correctly?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

OK, I've got this figured out. I'm obviously a newby making newby mistakes. The method that Kman described in his first post is the way that it SHOULD be done. The way that I did it was to insert a part into a PART (not an ASSEMBLY). Create the new part from edges of the first part. Hide the first part. Both methods LOOK the same in a model, but when you go to create a section view in a drawing, that's when the difference becomes obvious. Solidworks still sees the hidden part in a part, and shows it in the section. So, the moral of this story is: don't insert a part into a part to make a completely different part. Insert it into an assembly, and make the new part in context.

Thanks to all who responded, and sorry for wasting your time on a dumb mistake.

Reply to
ne-iowan