Opening a Drawing

I have created a drawing from an assembly (which has 2 configurations 2 sub assemblies of 4 parts and 2 parts - there are equations in the assemblies to control sizes) for a client using SW2004 sp4.1. I have no problem opening it up on my computer, File, Open and selecting the drawing. I sent this drawing and all the referenced files to my client on a CD, he loaded onto his computer and he cannot open the drawing without first opening the assembly then the drawing. He is using SW2004 sp1.0. My client has sent me his computer to solve the problem.

The questions I have, that I will ask my VAR on Monday are:

  1. Is this a problem in SW2004 sp1?

  1. If it is can I update the service pack to SP4.1 using my CD set when it ask to put in the CD disks?

  2. Does anybody have any idea what may cause this to happen? I know the drawing will open OK when I first open the assembly, but the overall project is to automatically create the drawing using a macro that inputs some known dimensions, and I would like to be able to open the drawing without first opening the assembly.

Thank you for any help

Reply to
RICHARD MORGAN

This is a bug in SW2004. I believe it's a problem with SP 4 or SP4.1. Some files aren't compatible with earlier SP's We had the same problem. The easiest way to fix the problem is update the computer on SP1 to the newest

2004 SP. You will not be able to update the clients computer using your cd's. Your options are to uninstall SW and then use your cds to re-install so you can install the SP or get a hold of his install cds and use those for installing the upgrade. If you do the uninstall/re-install option using your cds your client will not be able to upgrade without having to uninstall/re-install using his cds.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

We also found that drawings on later SPs of SW2004 would not open on earlier SPs. Why not have your customer upgrade his machine to the latest service pack.?

Reply to
P.